Bad voltage spikes

Page 3 of 3
On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 9:45:08 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@I.don't.have.a.clue.com wrote:

Maybe you just need a line filter that contains coils and capacitors because they block surges according to how fast the voltage and current change, rather than according to the voltage level, as MOVs do. Typically the more expensive surge protector power strips have both types of protection, but watch out for those that advertise having an RF filter but it's only a capacitor.

I like the triplite suppressors with metal boxes, LC filtering and MOV protection. I don't like plastic contraptions. I think the L does slow down the spike enabling the MOV to do a better job. Many MOV devices have MOV's with too high a trip point. At a segment powered by the line, such as a computer desk, anything connected to the computer must be grounded to the same ground. The ground is not protected against another ground point by MOV. Signal grounds can fail at very low voltage levels. Makes sense to use a protect strip with plugs for telephones, and other data connection.
Greg

Have to mention isolation transformers, such as sold by triplite. The ground is equalized at the transformer, since a new neutral is formed by tying to ground. The will be no great potential between line and ground, except if differential surge is created on line. Spikes would automatically be attenuated.
I still have an old Heathkit spike and voltage monitor which no longer works. I had given Heathkit recommendation of adding a ground monitor to the circuit, but they sort of went away.
Greg

One time I had power going off and on. It was then a main suppressor blew. I'm always concerned with things in the house to cause backward ac flow against the main flow causing excessive voltage. Motors are still turning. It's my theory. Thats why I like local suppressors on equipment. if lightning hit a nearby line or your house, things will fail regardless. I had a lightning strike my tree. Didn't notice any failure, but years ago I had a modem go out in the computer, after a loud crack. After that in installed MOV's on phone line.
Greg
On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 23:45:08 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@I.don't.have.a.clue.com wrote:

type of damage.
You guys do know this is the peak year of a solar max, don't you?