Back Up Power for Refrigerator/Freezer

It looks like Guardian's quiet series that runs on nat gas now starts at 22KW. But they also have a diesel residential serios that starts at 15KW. So, you're right, it's possible Smarty has one of those.

But I wouldn't buy a Generac anything after looking at the ratings and stories at Amazon for their basic whole house nat gas generators. Last time I looked, they had a lot of 5 star ratings and a lot of 1 star and not much in between. The 1 star were people claiming to have units that showed up inoperable, failed in the first few months, failed right after the 2 year warranty was up, etc. And so many of those with problems were saying that go poor customer service from Generac. You expect to see some complaints on any products, but what was there on Amazon looked unusually bad to me.

The 10kw gensets had a Turkish Fiat 4

Reply to
trader4

Ever since power company deregulation, electric service here has been declining.

Typical thunderstorm = 36 hour outage. More severe thunderstorm with straight line winds = 96 hour outage.

But, since customers want cheap electric power and investors demand ever-higher dividends, I don't see grid reliability improving.

So yeah, my next genset will be an 1800 rpm model.

Reply to
Smarty Pants

ROFLMAO!

First, Chinaman take all US jobs. Then Chinaman take all US money. Then, unemployed US workers drain unemployment system. Then, bankrupt unemployed US workers fake disability and drain Social Security Disability program.

Screaming sound you hear is Chinaman coming for repayment of trade deficit.

But don't worry, we will all soon have Obamacare and a job in Chinaman's sweat-shop. ;-)

Reply to
Smarty Pants

I don't need a youtube video.

I have a 17kW Generac 6' from the back of my house so I know first-hand what they sound like. I would say it sounds like an idling car.

Reply to
Smarty Pants

My sense, is that over regulation in the USA (and unions) priced us out of the markets. The Chinese use sweat shops, and cheep labor. When Way Tu Smart and Long Time Think call for their debt, we may end up being owned by the Chinese.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My pleasure. Glad someone enjoys my twisted sense of humor.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In the anecodtal evidence debate, it's two to one for quiet.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The problem is even well into s discussion, little info is provided. He says "I know what they sound like" What exactly is "they" besides that it's 17KW? Nat gas? Diesel? 1800 RPM, 3600 RPM, air cooled, water cooled, which specific model, how old, etc. There are a lot Generac out there.

I don't doubt some are quieter than others. But his post and your response to it, left the impression that "Generacs" are quiet. Some may be. The ones I've heard and the one in the video Smarty apparently won't look at, aren't.

If he provides the model number we can go look at the noise spec.

Reply to
trader4

What kind of car?

Are we talking about a precision-made Toyota or some piece of shit built by Obama Motors?

Reply to
Sy Philis

Toyotas make engine noise, and Obama Motors vehicles just have a faint, but irritating whine?

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

S/faint, but/incessant, /

Reply to
krw

Right. They should get their Obamagenerator.

Reply to
krw

You are need start up or lock rotor amp. whichever may show on the unit!!!

6.5. How much more will the motor draw at startup? Do I need to size for startup or normal operating conditions?

This model supposedly uses 617 kw-hours/year. Is this information relevant in sizing a backup system? If so, how can I use it?

Bob Simon

Reply to
Tony944