Attic Insulation HELP

In Brief: 1920's house No insulation Knob and Tube wiring ______________________
I have 2 whirly gigs, and gable vents on both ends. The house is 1100 sq ft. Knob and tub goes to my light fixtures. All of my outlets are romex wired from the bottom of the house.
I'm trying to avoid having to mess with the wiring. That being said, I dont think its very effecient to put Batts in the attic ceiling. I've looked at some reflective barriers stapled along the bottom edge of the roof rafters. Then adding some soffit vents along with a gable fan to blow the heat out when it gets to the top of the reflective insulation.
Would this be worth it, or should I just put some cellulose batts on the attic floor, and not go over the knob and tube.
Any ideas on the biggest bang for my buck.
FYI- I live in southern california

Replace the knob and tube first. You'll have to at some time - insurance companies are starting to cancel policies on houses with knob and tube wiring. Do not insulate over knob and tube. Then add the soffit vents and ridge vents or some kind of high roof vents. It is much easier to add soffit vents before the insulation. Then lay down batts. You'll be amazed at the difference. Forget the reflective barrier on the rafters, unless you like cooking your roofing.
Bob
Bob wrote: <snip>

data?