Attaching light fixtures to trees....

Page 1 of 3
Awl --
A sodium lamp fixture, 10# or so.
I see two options: screw right into the tree (SS deck screws?), or big hose clamps (or threaded-rod/plate equiv) around the tree. Both can impact the tree, it seems. Mebbe a hoseclamp with springs, for tree growth? That's a pita, tho.
Would be about 20 ft up, on the trunk, not a branch. I would would proly put the weatherproof box to a long-ish board or alum strip/bar, and attach that to the tree, for torque issues.
The trunk would be about 10"-12" in diameter at that height. How deep can one screw into a tree without doing harm?
--
EA

Maybe attach light to a piece of wood and use bungy cords to secure it to the tree, as the tree grows the cords stretch
The spring tension would tend to compress the bark. Helping choke off the necessary flow of water and nutrients. Much like a tourniquet.
And in about six months, the bungees would fail due to the UV light in sunlight.
This idea is interesting, but not very useful.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote: ...

Indeed, will work.
I'd suggest leaving them standing proud a fair amount from the surface or w/ time, the tree will grow over them making any later repair/replacement problematic.
In reality, for other than a temporary in which the mounting technieque is essentially immaterial, the better solution would be a light pole.
On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 09:41:00 -0400, "Existential Angst"

Depends on the species..but you can drill a hole through most of them and plug the hole so the beetles dont get in with little harm to them.
Lag bolts are recommended but will have to be changed every few years as the tree continues to grow. Deck screws are smaller in most cases and will work ok. And Stainless Steel IS rcommended so they dont rust away and dump your light on the ground.
Gunner
On 10/21/2010 11:05 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

many, many years. I routinely have put drywall-type screws into the trees on the property to hold lights and other display stuff. Of course, they are removed after the holiday. But I have never seen any adverse effect of doing this. If I were doing it on a semi permanent basis, I'd use stainless steel. YRMV.

Screwed into the tree will do less damage. Strapping anything around a tree is akin to putting a noose around your neck.

. And Stainless Steel IS rcommended so they dont rust away

Add a wire/chain safety to a branch above for just-in-case.

Super-simple and therefore excellent idear!!
Heh, now I can use black drywall screws, and see how long it takes them to rust out... :) AND give the ole tree some iron! :) :)
--
EA

[...]

A backer board or metal strap is not necessary unless the box has to be attached to whatever from inside.
Screw into the tree, but not with deck screws. Use two lag screws ("lag bolts"). You have not said what species of tree so I'll assume an average thickness of bark. Use a lag bolt at least 4 inches long (long enough that the screw goes 3 inches into the wood) and a big washer. Pre-drill the hole.
Make a note wherever you remind yourself about annual maintenance tasks, to check the lag screws and if necessary back them out a turn or two so that the growing tree does not engulf the fixture or rip the screws out of their holes.
Are you prepared to get up in that tree every few years?
    Una
On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 09:52:49 -0600 (MDT), snipped-for-privacy@att.net (Una) wrote:

Remember..the tree grows in Length as well as girth....
Just a heads up...
Gunner

Trees grow by adding wood at the top. A light screwed to the trunk 20 feet up won't get any higher as the tree gets bigger.
Do not hang a chain or cable over a branch; that is likely to kill the branch, and offers something for falling limbs to snag on, increasing risk of damage to the light.
    Una

A tree only grows in length on the growth tips and not along existing trunk or limb wood. A spot 20' up the trunk will always be 20' up the trunk. Art

yard is sinking!
Coool!!!
Gunner

    Its those California Trees ... too much LDS in the sixties.
tschus pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
On 10/21/2010 7:08 PM pyotr filipivich spake thus:

Methinks you got acid mixed up with the Mormons ...

So did the mormons.... Look at Christopher.... you think alladats just from poor diet/fitness, bad air and a li'l escaping freon/??
--
EA

    Not me, James Tiberias Kirk.
--