assembling seam on 3" x 6' sheet metal vent pipe

What is the proper technique for assembling the seam of a 3" x 6' sheet metal vent pipe? I'm assuming you start by inserting the lip at one end into the slot and then work your way down the length, but that simple description does not begin to be easily accomplished in practice. Is there some additional technique I need to know about, or a tool that helps?I've also tried rolling the tube into a tighter radius but that is not easily accomplished either.

John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Reply to
John Keith

Three inch is the hardest of the lot because it is the smallest.

Get the pipe on a flat surface seam side up with the receiver side away from your body. Your hands should be in the middle of the 6' length, 18-24" apart. Insert the lip of the pipe into the flange, making sure that the entire length is inserted then you have to press down gently and it will pop in. When you are pressing down gently you are converting a circle to the top of an apple shape (when viewed from the side perspective).

If the ends are not aligned just stand the pipe on one end and use a hammer and block of wood to align the ends.

I hope you can follow that. It is easy after the first time. But darned hard to write an adequate description.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt