Asking for Recommendations for New HVAC in a Row Home

Hi, I live in an 11,100 sq ft end of group two story brick row home w/ stone/brick covered front porch. in the Baltimore, MD area (mid Atlantic). w/ the front facing due south.. The walls are at least two courses of brick, maybe more, ok replacement aluminum storm windows, it's got no accessible attic, 8' 2" ceilings w/ electric baseboard heat.\ and window ac. I'm going to upgrade the heating and AC. I'm getting the first floor gutted leaving the plaster on the walls then framed w/ standard wood studs, then insulated (what should I used for insulation?) into one room appx 16'' x 30. Some months ago I posted a similar message in some the same news groups and several posters recommended a system that includes a high efficiency heat pump, well the contracotrs here are not sold on heat pumps I din't know if they don't have experience w/ the new HPs. I included two estimates to install a HVAC system. What do you think? How would you design the system differently. BTW, electricity costs increase 50% in cost June 1st of this year.

*************************************************************************************. quote by a local licensed contractor: Install one new Goodman 80% A.F.U.E., Model #GMS8/GDS8/GHS8 Multi Speed Gas Furnace. Install one new Goodman A-Coil, 13 seer. Install one new Goodman High-Efficiency Condenser 2 1/2 ton, 13 seer. Run complete new ductwork throughout 1st and 2nd floor to supply sufficient outlets to each room on 1st and 2nd floor. Run one new cold air return duct to 1st and 2nd floor. Run all new copper refrigeration lines to Condenser. Install all necessary registers and grilles. Install one new heat/cool thermostat.

Additional: All wiring, patching, painting and boxing in of ductwork to be done by others. Warranty: 20 Years Manufacturers Warranty on Heat-Exchanger. 10 Years Manufacturers Warranty on All Parts. (Until June 30,

2007) 1 Year Warranty on Labor. Cost: $8,400.00, $3,500.00 Down, $4,400.00 Due upon installing ductwork and equipment, $500.00 Due upon start up. ________________________________________________________________________________ another quote from licensed Trane contractor. - hand written so I can't paste it.

all duct work & returns, Trane XL 14; 2.5 Ton air conditioner, 14 SEER puron unit; Trane XL 80 % efficient gas furnace 80,000 btu unit w/ coil & programmable thermostat. same warranty on equipment. $9,900.00

both units are 80% because they claim they can't vent properly an higher efficiency units.

Reply to
Mike

*************************************************************************************.

How did the people in the 19th century and before ever live without HVAC???

Reply to
Snap Whipcrack..............

Miserably and then died in early middle age.

Feel free to try out that lifestyle. Just pull the breaker on your HVAC, open the windows and see how long you last. Major myth: you don't "acclimate". You simply learn not to bitch about it so much.

I spent part of my youth in an un-air conditioned house. Frankly, I'd stop eating before I'd stop the AC.

John

Reply to
Neon John

I can remember summer nights in a row-house in Philly. Temperature 95....... Humidity ....95 MISERY !!!

Reply to
Anonymous