I am not sure if a popcorn ceiling is flaking. We're finding white
stuff and think it might be coming from the popcorn ceiling. Any
experience with this? We'd like to get the flakes tested by an
asbestos tester. Any recommendations on inspectors in the Los Angeles
Thanks in advance.
It is possible that it is from the ceiling. Just take a close look at it
and you can tell easy enough.
If you house was built after 1978, asbestos was not allowed. Before that,
the amount of asbestos is very minimal and on the ceiling is not a danger as
it is encapsulated by paint. It can be easily removed by dampening and
scraping. IMO, the smooth ceiling is better looking. We took all of our
down No, we did not get it tested because it is not a danger IMO, since it
is not flying around in dust.
Thanks for your response. It was built in the '70s, I think before
1978. You mentioned taking a closer look and, thereby, being able to
tell if it is from the ceiling. What do I look for? How do the pieces
look? Also, aren't the pieces that fall airborne no longer
encapsulated, and therefore, a risk? How common is this? Health
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
I find it extremely funny that someone would say asbestos is not a
danger if your scraping it down.
The last company I saw "scraping" off asbestos was forced to, by law,
surround the area completly, install ventillation, where breathing
aperatus', wet the area, remove appropriately and dispose of in special
I find it extremely funny that someone would say that if you wet the popcorn
ceiling, making it the consistency of pudding that any asbestos fibers in
there would be able to float around on the wind. Obviously you don't know
dick about asbestos. It is only dangerous if you inhale it.
Removal of asbestos popcorn ceiling by wetting is a very common thing.
Homeowners do this commonly without asbestos inspection or expensive
Wet it. It makes mud. Scrape it off. Wear a mask anyway. Keep it a
sludge. You won't have any problems.
Isn't that a funny statement?
You are not scraping off asbestos, but rather the paint it is mixed with in
very tiny amounts. It is also dampened so as not to dust and fly around.
Sorry, I can't help you get over your fear of everything you read about.
Asbestos abatement is a different situation entirely.
If you get it tested and it IS asbestos:
1. If you want to remove it, be prepared for a multi-thousand dollar
2. If you don't remove it, you will be obligated to disclose to prospective
buyers that your building is contaminated by death-dealing asbestos. This,
in turn, will cause a multi-thousand dollar loss.
Your other alternative is to paint over it. That's a couple of hundred
I live in Las Vegas. Instead of spending multi thousands, buy me a couple
of plane tickets on Southwest to where you live in California, and we'll
come take it down for you. I am 57 and my wife is 60. Or just give us a
couple of grand, and we'll drive down.
I've done about a dozen, and there's nothing to it. You're the homeowner.
You can do it yourself with no permits, no nothing. You should be able to
go get four guys down by Home Depot or Star Nursery, and for about $500 have
it done and all cleaned up.
What's all this fuss about? It's not nuclear rocket surgery, and as long as
you keep it wet, it has about as much danger factor as wet gunpowder.
Where do you live in California? Shoot, now that I have made the offer, you
will probably get deluged from offers from people who live a lot closer than
I do, and who will do it for less. I still think the day laborer thing is
the way to go.
Thanks everyone for your response. Actually, it is my apartment and
I'm not the landlord. I'm concerned about how dangerous the specks of
white we're seeing are since I have a child. That's why I want to get
it tested. Also, won't painting it make it fall down? Wouldn't taking
it down increase the exposure? Is it common for it to flake? Is the
whole apartment now contaminated?
Thanks in advance for all the advice.
On 17 Sep 2006 14:23:35 -0700, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote Re Re: Asbestos
It could be very dangerous. Don't risk the life of your child. Move
NOW!! Money is no object when it comes to the life of your child!!
Spend whatever you must!!! Don't take a chance!!
Be a good mother.
Spend whatever it takes to be safe.
Slimes-Daily motto: 1) Tax and Spend, 2) Change the Constituion to make it
easier to do (1).
Relax. Nothing is contaminated. You can eat the stuff and it won't harm
you. Asbestos is only harmful in friable form, not when mixed in with paint
that encapsulated it. It must be breathed in, not skin contact. The specs
are no more dangerous than a grain of sand or flake of paint, or a couple of
To check to see if it is the ceiling, look at a flex. Touch the ceiling and
get a couple more to compare with. If you worked in an asbestos mine, build
boilers or ships with it for insulation, I'd be concerned. The fact that it
is in the same room with you is not a problem. You could bath in it, just
don't breath the dust when you do.
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 03:11:12 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Edwin
While you let her know that it wasn't actually dangerous, you forgot
to tell her the worst part, Edwin. If she tells a city/state/federal
official that she has asbestos coming down (true or not) they can shut
down the entire apartment complex and banish everyone from their
apartments for -months- while some specialty contractor comes in to
remove anything resembling asbestos, all at a cost which could easily
bankrupt the apartment owner. The apartment owners might not be able
to take ANYTHING out of their "contaminated" apartments during that
time, either. (Very NASTY worst-case-scenario, huh?)
This after a quick inspection. What are the odds the guy inspecting
will NOT find small amounts of asbestos in the popcorn ceiling? Zero
to none? If ever there might be a case for "Don't ask, don't tell."
it's one like this, eh?
Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization.
-- Charles Lindbergh
Oh, right. A 75 year old school here in CT has been in operation for all of
those years, September through June. After all those years, it was
"discovered" that the ceilings in classrooms had asbestos on them. They
immediately evacuated the building and closed it down. Evacuated, as in
emergency, not a closing after the school day.
Would have it harmed the kids to finish the day in an orderly manner?
Finish the week? Why not finish the year and remediate during hte summer?
People panic over this stuff for no sound reason.
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 18:20:38 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Edwin
Ayup. Michael Crichton's _State of Fear_ was a great work of fiction
which brought out how fearful we are as a society and points out how
many of these fears are false (most.) His bibliography (20 pages of
extremely good books) is awesome and led me to read some. I no longer
consider myself an environmentalist as the groups define themselves
now. I believe in leaving a small footprint on the land and conserving
and recycling what I can, but I no longer fund the increasingly
terrorist groups who call themselves "ecologists". Feh!
Crichton's article in the Parade was great, too. Just the thing folks
like Joe and your CT school admins need to read.
Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization.
-- Charles Lindbergh
I have a Sears washer machine that all of a sudden has developed a problem.
When the tub is filling, the water just trickles in, taking an hour to fill
with enough water to go into the wash mode. If I turn off both hot and cold
at the wall and then turn them both back on, the tub fills great. Then when
it fills to go into the rinse cycles, it goes into trickling again. I have
to keep repeating the off and on at the wall to get through a single load of
clothes. Sounds like some kind of valve or something has gotten gummed up
or something. I know nothing about fixing something like this and sure
would appreciate any insight that would save me a huge repair bill. The
machine is not new at all, but I would like to be able to fix it if
possible. TIA Jane
There are, or should be, mesh filters on the water hoses leading into the
machine. Check both ends of both hoses, they could be on either end. One is
probably plugged up and turning the water on/off breaks the vacuum
temporarily to let the blockage fall away and the water to fill up the
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.