Are you willing to pay $2000 to clean up a broken CFL bulb?

Are you willing to pay $2000 (or more) to clean up a broken CFL light bulb?
Subject: Mercury Alert
WASHINGTON - Brandy Bridges heard the claims of government officials, environmentalists and retailers like Wal-Mart all pushing the idea of replacing incandescent light bulbs with energy-saving and money-saving compact fluorescent lamps.
So, last month, the Prospect, Maine, resident went out and bought two dozen CFLs and began installing them in her home. One broke. A month later, her daughter's bedroom remains sealed off with plastic like the site of a hazardous materials accident, while Bridges works on a way to pay off a $2,000 estimate by a company specializing in environmentally sound cleanups of the mercury inside the bulb.
Read full article here: http://www.hoax-slayer.com/mercury-fluorescent-lights.shtml
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 4/14/2011 11:48 PM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

From 2007, a little late aren't you feller? ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–

She has two strikes. First was calling anyone instead of just cleaning it up. Second was having shag carpeting in this century.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 23:48:17 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote Re Are you willing to pay $2000 to clean up a broken CFL bulb?:

From the article:
"When the bulb she was installing in a ceiling fixture of her 7-year-old daughter's bedroom crashed to the floor and broke into the shag carpet, she wasn't sure what to do. Knowing about the danger of ^^^^^^^^ mercury, she called Home Depot, the retail outlet that sold her the bulbs."
She didn't *know* about the dangers of mercury. She *believed* the bulls..t about the dangers of mercury. (Remember when millions of us used to play with mercury from our Gilbert chemistry sets when we were kids?)
If you believe Al Gore, you pay the price.

βœ–
On Apr 15, 7:00 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Although Mr. Washington was purported to never have told a lie, it seems that FOX News (go figure) lied about this story. A Steve Molloy from FOX seems to have cherry-picked the one line that estimates the cost of professional hazmat cleaning, and ignored the rest of the DEP information on cleaning it up. "Lie by omission," says Sister Mary.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 04/15/11 12:48 am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Same clean-up rules as for the fluorescent tubes we've been using for decades.
Perce
Add pictures here
βœ–

What are the rules? I broke a cfl last week. Violently I might add. Picked up the larger pieces and vacuumed the rest.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 04/15/11 01:47 pm, Thomas wrote:

http://www.epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html
Perce
Add pictures here
βœ–

According to articles on this, using a vacuum cleaner is the WORST thing you can do. It spreads the harmful chemicals into the air, and you will breathe the mercury and florescent powder. Today might be a good day to buy a coffin and cemetery plot. Tomorrow may be too late. It's been nice knowing you. Too bad you had to leave us so soon..... Especially when you could have lived another 20 to 50 years more if only you had spent $2000.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 14:02:42 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote Re Re: Are you willing to pay $2000 to clean up a broken CFL bulb?:

It's for the children.

βœ–
On Apr 15, 3:02 pm, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote: .  It spreads the harmful chemicals into the air, and

Not to worry, I filter the air with the filter on the end of my cigarette.
Add pictures here
βœ–