Are these guys any good?

Need to have some landscaping done, particularly hardscape work and some concrete projects.

Down at the HD & Lowes, there's a lot of Mexicans in the mornings. I see pickup trucks pull in there, and tell em to jump in the back.

Just wondering if it's a viable option, considering you have no idea if you're getting a murderer or what.

Reply to
Tater Gum Fries

Try it and report back. I wouldn't let casual day labor in the house, no matter what language they spoke. But if all you need is strong backs to wield shovels, and no special skill sets, they could be fine. Assuming, of course, your insurance carrier and the IRS don't find out. If I need flatwork done, I'm gonna find a guy with his own damn bull float. Skill and experience matter for some things. But if you just need the trench dig for the footers, and you can't get a machine in the hole, and you are willing to stand there and make sure they follow the string line, that is another matter.

Not saying all Hispanics working construction off the books are crooks or unskilled, by the way. My sister in NC hired a drywall crew like that via word-of-mouth for cash, and they did fast excellent work, and cleaned up after themselves. I think they were just moonlighting, though, based on the hours they showed up to work. And down in Louisiana after the hurricane, as the blue tarps came down, most of the crews on the roofs were Hispanic or Mestizo. Most seemed very competent, and I grew up watching northern white boys lay shingles. Watch a good experienced roofing crew versus some weekender and his buddies for half an hour, and you will know what I am talking about. Experienced hands make it look easy, and it goes up fast.

Reply to
aemeijers

Hi, Think about it if they do bad jobs they'll ever lose their chance to work. I used them few times and they work hard. Just communicate your needs well(very important). I always feed them too when it is meal time. I never was sorry using them.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Troll, troll, troll your boat, gently down the stream....

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Never hired any, but knew someone who used them a lot.

I remember him saying to look for the ones dressed to work... real laced up boots and clean work clothes that look like they have some mileage.

Good luck!

Erik

Reply to
Erik

If you want to be the cause of the illegal immigration problem, hire illegal immigrants. IF they jailed everyone that did that, we wouldn't have a problem.

If they are legal, no problem.

I hired guys through the "millionaires club" in Seattle years ago that did good work. They did not tend to come back the next day when they said they would though.

Reply to
Bob F

We had work done on our seawall several years ago by a reputable contractor. Hubby was the building manager, so the two of us were involved in getting bids, preparation and cleanup. Also, of course, observing the work being done. There were a number of day laborers digging holes for the tiebacks. While the contractor was having a drink with one of the condo residents, I saw a couple of the crew take a walk around the building. Saw them go through belongings a couple of owners had outside their doors...nothing of value, and they took nothing. The "Mexicans" were still working, not pilfering private property.

We also have had thefts..coincidentally on the same day that advertising junk had been hung on our doorknob early in the morning. There are lots of opportunities for bad guys to scope out the property and come back to remove valuables....I'd much rather have work done by someone I know, Mexican or not. Nationality is absolutely irrelevant. Inviting a stranger off the street into one's vehicle or home is asking for trouble.

Reply to
norminn

Mexico is close to 100% concrete; therefore, Mexicans know how to use it. However, most of their skills are manual ones; if you need anything even remotely esoteric or esthetic *you* have to know what you want and be able to explain it.

Someone mentioned that they often don't show up again when they say they will. True. Additionally, if you ask when they indend to do something and they reply "ahorita" (in a little while) be advised that "ahorita" can be anywhere from a few minutes to never. If you really want something done tell them, "No, en este momento" in reply.

Reply to
dadiOH

Have just corrected some of that 'English' spellinhg. OK? (esthetic, indend etc.)

Sounds like the hard working immigrants of the last few generations who built America! Of course they were more likely, then, to have European names such Eisenauer, Schultz, Le Clerc, Muldoon, Simonevski, Bradley, Smith, etc. etc. But same principle. 'They' didn't all arrive through Ellis Island either! We have an ancestor ( a remote great, great uncle?) who 'disappeared' somewhere state-side, either during the Mexican revolution or the 1903 San Francisco earthquake.

Family legend is that he was 'The black sheep of the family' and today would probably not be granted entry to USA! Wonder if any of his descendants are running around the country?

Send me your poor etc..............

Reply to
terry

From Statue of Liberty?

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame, With conquering limbs astride from land to land; Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame. "Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she ' With silent lips.

"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

"Golden door" Not exactly the description of an armed-fenced border; eh? More like a Berlin Wall, maybe?

Reply to
terry

The Berling Wall was intended to keep people *IN*, you stupid bastard.

Reply to
krw

They were hardly here *illegally*.

You're the racist, here.

With good reason, obviously.

Reply to
krw

Its an option but you need to speak the language or get a few that do, you have to know what you want done and how to do it your way. Payment will be cash, they probably wont come back, keep the house locked at all times as you dont know what you are getting and I speak from experiance. Price in Chicago is about 10-12$ an hour but they will ask for more and the driver should get more. I would not shuttle them its can be a headache especialy if they return for more work.

Reply to
ransley

What kind of stupid misspells "Berlin" after having it right in front of his stupid face?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ah, another stupid racist bastard heard from. To answer your questions, one with fumble finners.

Reply to
krw

I spell fine, nothing wrong with "esthetic"; my fingers *do* fumble from time to time but that has nothing to do with "spellinhg". :)

Reply to
dadiOH

To all those weeping for the "undocumented workers seeking a better life"

What part of ILLEGAL don't you get ?

Would you like ten-thousand, or a hundred-thousand ? Send down the busses, and you can have 'em. ( haven't had any takers yet )

Reply to
Anonymous

terry wrote the following:

You have walls around your house. You welcome people that you trust through the door.You don't allow people to sneak in through the door or windows

Reply to
willshak

I have no walls or fences around my house. Nor do I have a sign on my house saying, in effect, "Everybody is welcome."

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

... Nor do I have an army of people -- both paid and unpaid -- telling the rest of the world: "This place is the best in the world: We have the best education system, the best health-care system, and anybody who wants to be successful can be successful here."

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy