Are newer carbs difficult to rebuild

I've been asked to rebuild a snowblower carb on a Toro unit, about 5 yrs old and of unknown engine mfg. I haven't checked this out at all but my fear is that carbs have changed appreciably from the '70's and early '80's carbs that I'm experienced with. The unit belongs to a lady on a limited income so I'm strongly compelled to help but I don't want to do more harm than good. I'm not a mechanic - just a shade tree mechanic. I've heard that the idle adjustment screw and high speed adjustment screws are sealed. True? I'll appreciate your help and I'm sure that the elderly lady who owns the unit will too!

Reply to
C & E

C&E,

They're pretty much the same carbs. Take the carb off. Head down to the lawn mower place. They'll get the numbers off of it and sell you a kit. Newer carbs do have "sealed" adjustments. The seals are orange plastic caps that you can break off when you need to re adjust a carb, it's not a big deal.

Reply to
David L. Martel

they can be rebuilt if not to badly corroded, those covers can be removed . but most shops just pu on a new carbs nowadays..lucas

ds549

Are you charging her anything for your time? Rebuild kit - $15 Gasket - $3 Cleaner- $8 A couple hours- $20-50 total- $50-70 - no guarantees

New Carb - $50-70 [comes with gasket] time 20minutes

- I got my last one in 2 days.

About the same cost- more likely to be perfect.

[either way be sure to clean out the gas tank and replace the gas line]

The carb I just rebuilt was off a 10yr old Toro 3HP and appeared to be just like the 60's-70's carbs that I have previously rebuilt. [if you missed that thread- it is now worse than before the rebuild, and I'm buying a new carb]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

You probably won't get this but, yes, I read that one Jim. It was a hoot even through the anger you must have experienced. No, I'm not charging her any time and sinc ewe got our first measureable snow today she may have decided that the expenditure is worth it. I'll have to look into it.

Reply to
C & E