Apollo to Houston: We have a toilet problem.

Emboldened by my vast, bold previous experiences, I embarked upon another journey into the dark mysterious world of toilets.
When I pulled out the old toilet and saw this, I knew that I wasn't meant to explore beyond my own tiny pond of a universe:
http://i30.tinypic.com/2mwujqr.jpg (side view)
http://i31.tinypic.com/xpphts.jpg (top view)
Although I was filled with dread, I threw caution to the winds and placed the new toilet upon the resting place. Alas, my heart sunk when I felt the toilet rocking back and forth. I
I looked at the bottom of the new toilet:
http://i32.tinypic.com/2djrmrs.jpg
I measured the interior depth. About 1/2". Then I measured the old toilet clearance: About 7/8". Oops.
How would Joe the Plumber resolve this? Umm, like tonight. Or better yet, right now.

If running out to lowes or home depot to get a different toilet is not an option...
1) shim around the edges of the toilet to prevent rocking. they actually sell wedges for this. paint sticks or plywood scraps will work for now
2) cut off the old flange and 'slide' in a new one. http://tinyurl.com/q8eepx note that for some reason the 3" slide in is much longer than the 4" ones I think Lowes & HD sell both sizes
3) get a bucket for the time being...
Good luck!