Anyone use "Great Stuff" expanding foam?

How do you get the f! stuff out of the can? The can says "Screw threaded end of straw assembly securely onto valve. Despense slowly"

The valve doesn't seem to work -- it's not clogged, there's just no opening. If I mash on it hard enough, a little foam leaks out around the bottom of th rubber stem. If I mash on it *really* hard, the rubber stem will probably break off and it will blow up.

I don't know if this can is defective, or what.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Bob,

You typically dispense the foam by pushing the stem to the side, not down like a paint can. And for most cans, you have to hold it upside down for the foam to come out.

However, I have used several cans in the past that failed to dispense the foam. Some of the foam probably just cured in the can. If you've already tried dispensing some, the rest of the can is probably history by now.

Probably just a bad can. Try a different one. It should come out fairly easy, but once it starts you'll need to use the entire can. Despite what the instructions sometimes say, I've never been able to reuse a partial can.

Oh, and don't get this stuff on your hands, clothes, or anything else of value. You'll be wearing it on your hands for a week or more, and it'll never come out of anything else.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

I've done that. This can must have a defective valve.

It might be fun to shoot in the back yard with a pellet gun, but I really needed to use the stuff to make "foam in place" packing to ship a computer crosscountry.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I know I go to lengths not to use one component foams if there is any way to use a 2 component. 1 component foam cures by using moisture in the air as a catalyst. That means it really isn't a good option for packing foam. If you put it on or in anything in a bead (or pile in a box, in your case), the outside will cure and seal the moisture out and the inside will remain semi-liquid. Ideally, you would layer it an inch at a time and wait for whatever cure time it says on the can goes by before applying another layer, but you may have better luck just cutting up some styrofoam blocks to fit the component and the box.

Next question will be where do you get 2 component foam. There are some small Fomo Foam kits at

that do like 15 or 20 board feet (sq. ft. @ 1" thick) for smaller jobs and Tiger Foam kits are good for bigger jobs. This kind of foam is really too expensive to use as a packaging foam, unless there's a good profit built into the product. Although, I did once see an airplane fuselage, looked like a lear jet, crated up and they had 2 guys each with a foam kit just pumping it into the crate. They had a pallet of the foam there. I talked to them and they said that they would use the whole pallet to ship that one fuselage. I commented that their must be a good profit margin in selling fuselages if the packing foam cost $5,000 or more! I'm in the wrong business.

To get back to your question, bad can, wrong application, get some styrofoam and pack it tight. Shoot the can and enjoy life!

abi

Reply to
abi

Works like a whipped cream can, you push or bend the nozzle to one side with one of the finger grips on the straw assembly.

Reply to
EXT

I bought it several months ago, and just tried to use it for the first time today. It still had the plastic wrap seal around the lid, so I know it wasn't messed with at the store.

Bad can. If I ever buy the stuff again I'll make sure to save my receipt and use it right away.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Thanks. I'm gonna go to Menard's or Home Depot tomorrow after church and buy a 4x8' sheet of 1" styrofoam insulation and cut it to line the box. Then wedge a few big pieces in to keep things from shifting, and fill it up with "packing peanuts".

The foam packing just seemed like a good use for this can of Stuff that I had already. I think shooting it might be a better use :-) Too bad I gotta use a pellet gun and don't have a place to legally shoot it with a pistol.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

slowly"

around

Make sure you rock the valve, not push down straight...

Reply to
Rick

Bob,

You don't want to use that stuff to spray around a computer for shipping as it will ruin the computer. That stuff expands as it's drying and can exert a lot of force. I guess you could shoot it inside a good plastic bag and let it expand for packing but I wouldn't do that. The peanuts or shaped foam would be the best. Also bubble wrap around the computer would work fine.

zxcvbob wrote:

Reply to
Joey

Judging by the other answers, it isn't defective, just a little old or has been partially used. I had a can of the stuff and didn't use it because once you use it, that's it. It's meant to be used all at once, according to the instructions. So, when the time came to use it, it wouldn't. So buy it and use it immediately or expect a problem.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Yup, that is true. I have seen people warp window and door frames by shooting too much foam in.

Reply to
gfretwell

Reply to
AKA gray asphalt

Forget the peanuts as well; they settle too much. I am a firm believer in bubble wrap.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Just think twice about using UPS...I have always said their motto should be "We Kick Your Packages Coast to Coast".....

Reply to
Ross Mac

I'm probably gonna use FedEx Ground because it is several dollars cheaper than UPS. I am going to insure the package for $1000 (that's a realistic value), so while I hope it gets there in one piece it really doesn't matter all *that* much if they destroy it.

I don't think an insured package will get mishandled much.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Edwin,

Regular postal mail is about the same. A friend once mailed me a record album, with "fragile" and "do not bend" written all over the package. It arrived rolled up and stuffed in our mailbox... :)

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Perhaps., but the others are no better. FedEx recently delivered an empty box to me because the contents fell out when it was damaged.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Great stuff comes in a blue can too. Works right side up and won't expand as much. Still use gloves.

To ship computer, pop about 4 bags of cheap microwave popcorn and use it for packing. Works great.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

He paid about $1400 for it less than 2 years ago, and probably still has a receipt. The same model comes up occasionally on eBay and sells for about $1100.

I packed it in so much bubble wrap and styrofoam (mostly 1" thick sheets, just a few "peanuts" to fill some small hollow spots), and used so much tape to seal the box it will probably survive falling out of the truck if the truck isn't moving too fast -- and if they don't run over it :-) The box is not going to come open until someone takes a boxcutter to it; my brother is gonna be cussing me when he tries to get all that strapping tape off because he doesn't carry a knife.

The biggest risk is that they steal it or lose it. And I don't think that happens very often.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Just make sure you can produce a bill of sale documenting what you (or the owner) paid for the computer.

Those carriers can be real bastards when it comes to settling claims, particularly if you're not a regular customer and have your own account with them.

Just because you pay them an insurance premium for $1,000 of coverage doesn't mean they will rush to hand you a check for $1,000, if the package gets lost or even crushed under the wheels of one of their own trucks.

I doubt the folks handling them give any special consideration to that.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia