any better rubber casters?

Page 1 of 2
Hi All,
My wife has a wooden chair with these 2" rubber casters:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId 86942&cp%68443.2568451.2626210.2627538.2627561
Problem: the stinkers fail after about two years:
1) the ball bearing fall out (all over the floor)
2) the sleeves fall off the wood, casters and all. Pounding the sleeves back on does not help as the wood were the sleeve's teeth goes in has failed.
I was thinking of adding a little wood glue to the new sleeves I will get with the new casters, but the casters will still fail again in a year or two.
Anyone has an opinion for better casters?
Many thanks, -T

Glue won't do squat. If you can use casters that attach with screw on plates, use those. If not, drill out a larger hole, glue in a hardwood dowel then drill into the dowel for the sleeve. An even better fix would be to drill out and epoxy in a coupling for threaded rods, then use casters that have threaded studs.
If you do any drilling, keep it vertical...being off vertical is one cause of caster failure.

I favor ball casters like these...
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
I am not suggesting these particular ones, though, I have not used them. I've used some from HD, they failed and spewed ball bearings. My current, several year old ones were purchased from a company in Canada that sells a vast array of things mostly to contractors. Can't think of their name, will try to post it later.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 09/14/2014 04:04 AM, dadiOH wrote:

I like this idea.

Great tip!

Thank you!
dadiOH wrote:

Look for industrial/commercial grade ones at quality office furniture supplier.

Outwater Plastics. Their free catalog is worth having. Link to ball caster page... http://outwatercatalogs.com/lg_display.cfm/catalog/Master_Catalog_Vol_42/page/225
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 09/14/2014 05:08 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Hi Pops,
Thank you!
Why is it that you prefer ball over wheel? is there less strain when moving, leading to less failure?
-T
On 9/14/2014 3:35 AM, Todd wrote:

There are very good casters out there. Go to www.grainger.com or www.mcmaster.com and get some commercial/industrial grade casters and they will last decades. They give information to help you choose what is best for your needs.
On 09/14/2014 06:18 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Oh wow! 80 lb vs 250 lb capacity. I have been using el-cheap-o casters.
Thank you!

As dadiOH said, get the ball type and filling the existing hole is an option. Also, after you have redrilled the hole and reinserted the sleeve, put a 14oz tack or similar size nail with a head beside the collar with the head just lapping over the collar to keep it from coming out again HTH
On 09/14/2014 11:08 AM, ChairMan wrote:

Hi Chariman,
Had to think about it for a second, but then I understood. An excellent idea. I am really tired of the sleeves falling out.
Thank you!
-T

exactly, the ball type can swivel in any direction where as the wheel type needs to turn so the wheel will roll properly, if not it puts extra strain on the caster and stem which in turn will wollow out the hole and you'll have failure
On 09/14/2014 01:58 PM, ChairMan wrote:

That explains it. Thank you!

not necessarily junk, just the wrong wheel for the application
On 09/14/2014 02:00 PM, ChairMan wrote:

Hopefully, Ace Hardware will know what I mean when I say I want "#14 tacks"
On 09/14/2014 12:35 AM, Todd wrote:
Over on Amazon, my wife found a review of a ball caster that messed up the reviewer's hardwood floor. Left lines (slight indents) about 1/4 wide in the floor.
I can't find there reference to help illustrate.
Is this a problem, or did the lady have a really soft hardwood?
Many thanks, -T
On 9/15/2014 5:41 PM, Todd wrote:

Makes sense. The roller has more contact than a ball. I'm too lazy to do the math right now, bit a 3/4: roller is going to contact more than the pinpoint of a ball.
In wrote:

Yeah, I wasn't sure I explained it right, but it made sense to me because I've done it hundreds of times : )
In belched:

I'd say the floor, but it depends on the caster. With the round ball type there are two densities. What brand are the ones on Amazon? If they are chinese that could be the difference Look here http://www.shepherdcasters.com/products_baron.html As you can see when you click the wheel tab there are 2 types the Spherical Soft Rubber (1-5/8" models) and the Spherical Polyolefin (2" models). I've never had issues on wood or tile floors with either There is also this type( which is a true "ball"caster) has a rubber or urethane tread, which would work on wood, too. http://www.shepherdcasters.com/products_ball.html#wheels If you stick with sheppard, you should be okay. I still think the issue was here floors, probably chinese engineered crap and/or the casters are cheap HARD rubber, which I have seen and willl mark your floor
On 09/15/2014 07:57 PM, ChairMan wrote:

Waxman

The balls were plastic too.
--
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 09/15/2014 07:57 PM, ChairMan wrote:

What does "Dual ball bearing raceway construction" mean? On the swivel part or the roller part?

--
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped