Any alternatives to backerboard and thinset?

I have a kitchen floor with sheet vinyl glued onto planks onto the subfloor. I would like to put tile on it. Right now the kitchen is flush with the hardwoods in the next room (house 50 yrs old) and I want to keep the transition to a minimum.
Ideally, I could lay something like a caulking material down and set he tile on that. I would keep the tiles on the small side. Possibly remove the sheet vinyl and level out the floor first. From earlier threads here I saw that putting thinset on a wood floor is bad news because as the floor flexed the mortar would crack. I wonder if there are alternatives to mortar and mortar grout, something that would have a little flex in it?
I was thinking plain adhesive caulk in a tube (100 tubes?) or that epoxy garage floor covering that is being advertised on TV, but any ideas are appreciated, especially tried and successful ones!
Thanks in advance
puttster wrote:

Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Use whats been tried and tested. As long as the floor is flat and structurally sound, meaning no movement up or down, you can install 1/4" Hardy backerboard or possibly install over sheet vinyl. Just make sure you use the best tile adhesive on the market, not the cheap stuff! I would suggest the backerboard. Use plenty of screws or ring nails.
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
Evodawg wrote:

Ditto. Good advice.
Check the deflection as well. I bet that plank floor has more give than not in it. Most people don't notice it or get used to it. Tile and grout never get used to movement. http://www.ttmac.com/deflection_limitations.htm
Can you be more specific as to why 6" tiles on adhesive calk would not work?
ratecase wrote:

Can you be more specific and quote what you're replying to so the we don't have to go upthread for your lazy ass and look for our lazy ass selves?

Sure, though this is an surprising request since you responded to the thread yourself just this morning. Here it is:

Ditto. Good advice. Check the deflection as well. I bet that plank floor has more give than not in it. Most people don't notice it or get used to it. Tile and grout never get used to movement. G Henslee
And finally ratecase asks: Can you be more specific as to why 6" tiles on adhesive calk would not work?

thread
Easy "Putt"..he's got a short memory and it So-o-o-o much easier for him to sling crap instead of "think"
puttster wrote:

Not surprising at all. Some lazy ass using google axed "Can you be more specific as to why 6" tiles on adhesive calk would not work?"
If this googlized cretin can't address who he's asking the question of, quote some relevant text, then screw him.
You answer him since you stepped in. Or better yet, let Rudy, since he decided to squat and pee in this thread.
Can you be more specific as to why 6" tiles on adhesive calk would not work?
ratshit wrote:

Not sure who you're asking, but I can answer you. This explains it well. http://tinyurl.com/3dg

Really, what a bizarre way to treat a visitor wanting some home repair advice! Putts
puttster wrote:

Agreed. But perfect treatment for a shitstain troll. If the shoe fits...
-end of subject-

Flex mortar is somewhat forgiving but you really need to stabilize the floor. I am not sure 1/4" backer board is all that stiff either.
Flex Mortar? Interesting sounding name, I like it! What is it?
ratecase wrote:

Not what you think. Google it.