ANTS !!!!!

What are some of the best remedies for your everyday garden variety NJ ants.

We get them every spring in our kitchen for a couple weeks then they are gone, I am trying to control the situation until then.

Reply to
Postal68

Postal68 Thou idle fickle-changeling. Thou pernicious wrangling knave. Ye asserted:

DAEV hillstrom's rotting corpse.

Reply to
Kadaitcha Man

The cheapest solution, usually effective, is to leave in the ants' path tiny drops of a mixture of powdered borax and sugar water.

  1. Eaten by ants, this blocks their insides and they die.
  2. Before eating this, the ants transport it back to the nest to share with the community.
Reply to
Don Phillipson

We had a terrible problem with ants in our kitchen until I started using Amdro Ant-Block. I set out the bait about seven weeks ago. The instructions say it may take up to a week to see an effect. Three days later the ants disappeared and have not returned.

Reply to
Doug Miller

My wife uses Ortho Bug B Gone every Spring. It a granular insect killer with it's own sprinkler head. She spreads it in a 4' swath around the foundation of the house in the Spring. Since she has been using it, we have had no crawling bugs in the house. It comes in a 3.5 lb large green container available at most garden stores or garden section of the big box stores, which is enough to spread around an average house. Ladybugs are a different story. :-)

Reply to
willshak

Terro Ant Killer. I just put a few drops on one of those useless plastic "bait station" things from the supermarket. Ants take it home, kill off the hive, no ants in about 2 weeks. It's a beautiful thing. In upstate NY, the only place I can find Terro is in the hardware store.

Reply to
<h>

i too use terro and it really works. outside i mix boric acid (walmart) with pancake syrup to put around the big hills. after baiting during the month of may , i spray the foundation and yard with a double dose malathyon to keep new invaders out. dont bait and spray at the same time.

ds549

As the others have said, bait them. Figure out what they eat and mix some about 12:1 with boric acid. If nothing else they will stop eating that. Some ants don&#39;t eat sugars at all. The bait might be dog food or bacon grease. Just watch them and see. For most northern ants that will make them go away. There are some sub-tropical ants that just stop eating whatever you bait them with. They throw out a new queen and a new colony that eats something else. I finally got the ants around here to stop eating everything in the house so they stopped coming in. If you do track them back to the nest mix up some poison (follow the label) or maybe just a huge pot of boiliong water (let your environmental conscience be your guide) and flood the nest. That old gasoline you have left in the shed from last year also works but it is not environmentally friendly and you certainly don&#39;t want to do it next to the house.

Reply to
gfretwell

Terro

It&#39;s the only thing I&#39;ve ever used for ants that has a 100% success rate. It ALWAYS works.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Liquid ant bait from