Another sqeaking floor.

I have a squeky floor that I cannot access from below. I lifted the carpeting and added many screws, I know I caught the joist. The squeak went away for a few motnhs then came back. I am think it is the plywood seam rubbing against the adjcent plywood. How can I fix this situation?

Reply to
higgledy

You could try silicone spray but if that was the problem why would it have stopped for a few months after putting the screws in. You might try retightening the screws. Also when putting in screws, put a little cake soap on the threads. Makes them go in much easier.

Reply to
Art

Here it might matter: Will it make them loosen easier too?

Reply to
mm

Try running a circular saw down the joints just deep enough to cut thru the flooring

Reply to
Peter Griffin

I doubt it. Heat from screwing the screw in makes the soap soften and act like a lubricant. Once its in it the screw would cool off and the soap would have no effect. That was the only worthwhile tip I remember from shop class in high school.

Reply to
Art

I believe he is kidding.

Reply to
Art

no I have done it several times to relieve the sheets so they do not rub due to flex in the support system in some houses ie 24in centers....shoddy support ect...

Reply to
Peter Griffin

I guess I better stop using liquid soap.

Reply to
mm

I think you hit the problem...shoddy support. The joists are on 16" centers but this location is where the opening in the floor is made to the basement steps. I think either the joists are not installed correctly (maybe the hangers) or the sub-floor joints were not gappped correctly.

Peter Griff>

Reply to
higgledy