Another sqeaking floor.

I have a squeky floor that I cannot access from below. I lifted the carpeting and added many screws, I know I caught the joist. The squeak went away for a few motnhs then came back. I am think it is the plywood seam rubbing against the adjcent plywood. How can I fix this situation?
You could try silicone spray but if that was the problem why would it have stopped for a few months after putting the screws in. You might try retightening the screws. Also when putting in screws, put a little cake soap on the threads. Makes them go in much easier.

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 02:32:15 GMT, "Art"

Here it might matter: Will it make them loosen easier too?

I doubt it. Heat from screwing the screw in makes the soap soften and act like a lubricant. Once its in it the screw would cool off and the soap would have no effect. That was the only worthwhile tip I remember from shop class in high school.
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 22:23:41 GMT, "Art"

I guess I better stop using liquid soap.
On 12 Jun 2006 18:57:17 -0700, higgledy wrote:

Try running a circular saw down the joints just deep enough to cut thru the flooring

I believe he is kidding.
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 22:24:33 GMT, Art wrote:

no I have done it several times to relieve the sheets so they do not rub due to flex in the support system in some houses ie 24in centers....shoddy support ect...
I think you hit the problem...shoddy support. The joists are on 16" centers but this location is where the opening in the floor is made to the basement steps. I think either the joists are not installed correctly (maybe the hangers) or the sub-floor joints were not gappped correctly.