another question on wattage

Hi all,
Thanks for the clarifications with my question about energy saving bulbs and wattage.
And while we are still on the subject, I would like to ask one more related question...
I once bought a fixture made in Poland (I live in the US). The seller told me I can use 60W bulbs. The fixture turned out to be marked for use with 75W bulbs, and there was a sticker on each socket telling me to use 40W bulbs.
I use 40W bulbs to be on the safe side, but...
What is the issue here? 220V versus 110V? Or something else?
Thanks, Arkadiy

The issue is heat. More watts mean the fixture will get hotter. At some point, the fixture will be damaged -- plastic parts including insulation can melt. In the extreme, they start to burn and you have a fire.