Another Hot Tub Question

I am purchasing a home with a hot tub, and don't want it.

Do I need to hire an electrician to remove it, or could most anyone disconnect it?

I was thinking about placing an ad in the paper and just say you remove, and it is yours free. But, I am not sure this is smart, seeing how it involves some electrical disconnection.

Thanks.

Corinne

Reply to
Corinne

Disconnecting a hot tub isn't exactly rocket science, and does not need to be done by an electrician. If you're anywhere near Indianapolis, I'll be happy to take you up on your offer of the tub in exchange for removal. See my sig line for real email address.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Your hot tub has value, depending on its manufacture and age. Many people will disconnect it and remove it AND pay you.

Some tubs are worth thousands of dollars. If you don't need the money, are you single?

;-)

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Hi Corinne:

Disconnecting is pretty simple. Once it's drained, a hot tub doesn't weigh much. They're pretty easy to move. As others have said, it might be worth something. I would call a couple of local dealers and see if they would estimate its value for you.

If you're anywhere near upstate SC, and you're determined to give it away, I know someone who needs one (not me, I have one already) and can come get it.

Regards, John.

Reply to
the_tool_man

I must have had a different one. My two were heavy and it took four guys to lift it onto dollys, and that was just one side at a time.

Professional movers know just how to do it. They have special dollies.

I wonder just what an empty 8' x 8' spa weighs. I will Google and try to find out.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

=======================

Call an electrician.... Bet he not only will do the electrical disconnect for you but most likely will haul the tub to his home home... and he most likely will not charge you too much...

Have had my Hot Tub for only 6 years ...and I should have bought one

20 years ago.... no make that 30 years ago...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

Mine is pretty heavy as well. between the thick shell, the 'very' reinforced wooden frame, and the heavy pumps, it's not something that you want to move very often, if ever. It's also large, unbalanced and awkward. At least that means you can get a lot of people around it to assist. Personally, I'd hire that job out!

rusty redcloud

Reply to
Red Cloud®

You do not necessarily need an electrician to disconnect the tub but you do need someone who is knowledgable and comfortable with their electrical skills and who knows what they are doing.

How well they do the job will affect your safety and the safety of your family. Unused breakers should be shut off and preferably removed with the un-needed wiring. There shouldn't be any exposed wires left out in the open. Unused wires need to be terminated properly or removed. Open electrical boxes need to be covered with the proper plate.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

I had to move two spas about 50 feet each. On the first, it was me and about six aliens, Martians I think, and put 4x8 sheets on the lawn. We lifted it up to dollies, then rolled it over the plywood. It was a 7x7. Then, we pushed it off onto PVC pipes over a square made of block, rolled it to its final position, and pulled the PVC rollers. It was a royal PITA, with the Martian communications block and all.

We got it done.

On the second, I took a hydraulic floor jack, some blocks, some four wheel furniture dollies, and years of experience rigging, and moved it myself. It was an 8x8. It had to go over concrete and pavers, but just about the same move. I did it myself, and a lot less stress.

Even if you have a team, if they don't know what they are doing and are working against you, it is harder.

A real pro team SHOULD (I hate that word) know what to do and work together. But then, I have watched "professional" teams work before, and the only thing professional means is that they are being paid for the job rather than doing it for free. Sometimes it is laughable.

STeve

Reply to
SteveB

I would consider keeping it three months and then deciding.

I love my hot tub.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"I would consider keeping it three months and then deciding. I love my hot tub. Steve "

That reminds me of my condo. It had a nice small loft area with sky lights. I re-inforced the floor, added a tile floor and installed a 4 person spa right under the sky lights. It was the perfect spot, looked great and I really enjoyed having it. When I sold it, the buyer, a young single guy, didn't want it! Go figure. So, I agreed to remove it. Actually, it was quite easy. I just rented two roller ramps and got a few friends to help get it down and put it on a small trailer.

That was 9 years ago and the spa is still in use on my back patio at my new home. And he wound up paying the same amount for the condo anyway, which was fine by me!

Reply to
trader4

Reply to
Corinne

Sorry, but I live in Washington State. Bummer!

Reply to
Corinne