Another Aluminum to Copper

All,
Set out to do what I thought was going to be a simple deal... I want to install a timer on my porch light. This timer replaces the switch to the fixture so I am thinking a quick change -- screw on the wires to the timer and boom!
Well, the timer has two wires out which are aluminum -- the wiring is copper. I have no twist thingies to connect the two with so I head back to Mecca (Home Depot). I spot some connectors but just to be sure I ask an Apron if what I have is good enough. He says not for copper to alum -- and hands me this squeeze tube of anti-oxidant paste or some such.
Is this paste step really necessary? It makes a big deal about not getting the goop on the wire insulation but once they both get in the twistee -- how would I know if it does or not...
Any tips or advice before I burn the house down?
Thanks!
tuta

What makes you think its AL?

Well, after a long and intense metallurgical study I concluded it is aluminum based upon its atomic mass of 26.98154 g.mol -1
and it is silver-y
tuta

Fools gold or silver in your case fool.

ok -- my apologies, AJ -- I will confirm this evening what the heck it is for sure -- tinned copper or aluminum.
tuta

It's probably tinned copper. I find it hard to imagine that anybody would be selling devices like timers with Al wire these days.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
tuta wrote:

They often tin (cover the copper with solder) the leads. I would be very surprised to find it was al.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
tuta wrote:

What makes you think the wires are aluminum? (They are probably tinned copper)
Bob