Animal repellent- squirrel and cat

Hello there,

My mother has some flowers in pots and the squirrels love to dig in them. We've put cayenne pepper on the soil but that doesn't seem to work. Lowe's Hardware carries a product called "Deer Off" Ready to Spray Deer Off Deer, Rabbit & Squirrel Repellent. I was wondering if that would work. I tried a water scarecrow(motion detection) but that got everything wet that came into the area including people.

Thanks, Elliot

Reply to
Elliot

There is a motion sensing water sprayer that works pretty good.

Steve

Steve B

Thanks for the advice but the "Water Scarecrow" I tried would spray the area with water if the area was intruded...got everything wet including people Elliot

Reply to
Elliot

The deer off might work. Probably won't work on the cat. I think most of those things try to simulate the scent of a kill. Some are made with dried blood or eggs. Prey animals will stay away from a kill.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Maybe an ultrasonic? I have a battery operated one, and it sure gets the dog's attention. I carry it when doing real estate work, and it works great on some dogs, and others either can't hear it or doesn't have any effect. I'm sure they make them motion sensitive.

Steve

book coming soon

Steve B

You might try moth balls. I put them in newly seeded areas where my (or the neighbor's) cat loves to dig. Keeps them off. Also hung moth balls over the cat door to keep the possums and 'coons out. Don't put too close to plants.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I use rocks

Reply to
ransley

"Higgs Boson" wrote

You might try moth balls. I put them in newly seeded areas where my (or the neighbor's) cat loves to dig. Keeps them off. Also hung moth balls over the cat door to keep the possums and 'coons out. Don't put too close to plants.

Don't start with mothballs. We got chipmunks in our walls at our cabin. I went up and put sheet metal over the holes in the mid afternoon, guaranteeing that they would be out to lunch. SWMBO insisted on a hefty dose of mothballs. Sorry, I meant to say HEFTY. That has been three years.

We are going there (or attempting it) tomorrow, I bet the first thing I smell on entry is mothballs. Just how long does it take for them to go away? It would be a serious job to remove the siding and access all those mothballs.

Steve

watch for the book

Steve B

"ransley" wrote

I use rocks

reply: I'm too slow. By the time I get out there, they're up in the tree laughing at me and dropping "stuff".

So, then we escalate and bring out the artillery. We have a huge problem here with the huge rock squirrels. They will strip a complete apricot tree in a couple of hours, only taking the seeds, and leaving the meat on the ground. Almonds the same. AND, they are smart, waiting until just the peak of ripeness.

Am making some 55 gal. water traps with a trap door which should be fairly effective. They are very spooky, and zip off at first glance of a human.

Reply to
Steve B

I meant rocks around the plants so they dont dig, the squirrels get the peanuts and extra bird food.

Reply to
ransley

I meant rocks around the plants so they dont dig, the squirrels get the peanuts and extra bird food.

REPLY:

Our local rock squirrels are called that for a reason.

They make their homes in rocky canyons by eating their way in. they cut their teeth on rocks.

Steve

watch for the book

Steve B

Andy comments:

I have a Henry rifle with a scope that works really well. However, I live in the country, and it might not be a good idea for downtown.....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
Andy

How do you get the moth to hold still while you collect his balls?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That squirrel sounded just like a squeaky toy.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas