animal digging under deck

I noticed today that an animal has dug the dirt/grass and gotten under the back yard deck. it has made a tunnel on two sides of the deck. the skirting around the deck is wooden boards about 1X4". I would like to get some suggestions about how to go about stopping the animal ( I think it must be a skunk ), because there are holes dug all over the back grass. I live in Southern Ontario and the weather is getting colder, and maybe the animal is trying to stake out a place for the winter? All help appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Gustov

If it's digging holes all over the place, it's probably after grubs.

Reply to
default

Reply to
Gustov

If they have a tunnel already dug I think it's safe to say they already staked a claim :)

One way to get them out from under is to soak rags with ammonia and stick them under the deck. Once you are sure they are gone I'd get chicken mesh or hardware cloth and place it all around the base and into the ground a ways to keep them or others from returning.

Reply to
Pop

If it is a skunk they like it quiet & dark. A loud radio & bright lights should move them out.

Reply to
3rd eye

Or you can wait for him to leave, as they are nocturnal and go out and about most every night. To make sure the skunk is gone, sprinkle flour at the opening to his lair, then get up in the middle of the night and if you see footprints going out, but not returning, you can block up his entry.

Bob B

Reply to
Bob B.

Our county animal control people loan out the type of trap that cages, but does not injure the critter. If you catch something, you call them and they come remove the animal from the trap and take it away, no charge. Maybe you have the same type of service available.

Reply to
Wayne

It is possible that the hole under the deck was dug by a woodchuck. But woodchucks and skunks have been known to den together. Although, if you do not smell anything, it could be a raccoon or porcupine.

Any of those critters (except skunk) you could have for supper (tastes like pork). I had barbequed raccoon at a fine restaurant.

Reply to
David Efflandt

Two words....Barry Manilow.

Reply to
Joe Fabeitz

One word ..... Fi-Shock.

Zzzzzzzzt! Gone for good. No harm to the animal.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Hyphenated words count as two words, here.

Reply to
Joe Fabeitz