angle grinder specs?

I need to cut a (long) slit in a masonry wall, to fit roof flashing. The wall is solid cement blocks. (No cores.) I've done this before with a borrowed (7") angle grinder, which has since moved away. So, I'm looking for one of my very own.
Lowes has a 7" dewalt grinder; but, it's rated 12 amp. Most that I see on factory web sites (well, Milwaukee and Dewalt) are rated 15 amp. This makes me suspect that the Lowes one is maybe not-so-great quality - just a 'named' label on a Harbor Freight product.
Any thoughts or information on this would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Since masonry dust isn't the best thing for a grinder-- and you don't seem to be needing one every day- I'd get out of this a cheap as possible. Get the HF special-- and pass on the extended warranty.
I'm surprised at how much abuse those buggers take. I have a couple $10, 4.5inch ones that get abused in the worst possible ways-- but they keep on ticking.
The 7inch will set you back $40.
Jim

Harbor Freight has a coupon special on right now (available in the ad pack or magazine of the Sunday paper), for $9.95 and 4 1/2" angle grinder. I have picked up a handful of them at that price in the past, and set them up with different blades Don't have to waste time changing blades.

Have you considered renting an angle-grinder (or a proper concrete cutter) from an industrial-supply rental place?
--
Tegger

Will a circular saw fit/ride along your proposed cutting path? If so, maybe get a used circular saw from a pawn shop and a masonery blade.
Sonny

I vote +1 for the cheap harborfreight model. I have not managed to kill mine yet.
If space and position permit the use of a small circular saw then I would have to suggest this little jewel: http://www.harborfreight.com/4-dry-tile-saw-68298.html
With the inexpensive diamond blade it is a fast cutting little demon. It is about 10 times faster than an abrasive disc in an angle grinder.
There is an optional water fork you can use but then you need the pump to go with that.
--
Colbyt
George wrote:

Here's the $18.00, HF model which runs at a whopping 4.3 amps! This is more than sufficient to cut a groove in a concrete block.
If it craps out on you in the middle of the project, return it for another one.
Chances are it will work swell and you'll find more and more uses for it.
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-half-inch-angle-grinder-95578.html
Thanks to all who replied. In the end, Amazon had a 15 amp Milwaukee (6088) for $130. Happy day.

Last week, I got a Makita 14" 2414NB chop saw WITH a 4.5" paddle switch grinder as a bonus. $204 for both. Quite a deal in my estimation.
Steve
George wrote:

FYI that is a 9 inch grinder; HF currently sells one of those for $50, and it is also 15 amp.
Jon

Why did the other grinder move away? Did you abuse it and piss it off?

Yea, with a 12 amp model you'll save 3 amps worth of electricity on your electric bill. Use the money you save to go treat yourself to a Big Mac after the job is done. That's my thoughts on the matter.