And now, ice dams on Mom's roof

Page 1 of 4
Mom's house has ice dams. That's been every year, Dad used to be on a ladder every year.
Well, it's my turn. I was on a ladder, today.
Ice pick didn't do much. It does clear ice, but throws chips that go right up my coat sleeves.
Claw hammer clears ice, but the chips hit my face. propane torch melts ice, but it's slow.
Home Depot had some buckets of salt pellets (about size of hockey puck) you throw up there to melt a channel. I'm going to try those. Hope they work. Going to tape a plastic container of some kind on the end of telescoping pole, so I can put the pellets where they are most needed.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Mom's house has ice dams. That's been every year, Dad used to be on a ladder every year.
Well, it's my turn. I was on a ladder, today.
Ice pick didn't do much. It does clear ice, but throws chips that go right up my coat sleeves.
Claw hammer clears ice, but the chips hit my face. propane torch melts ice, but it's slow.
Home Depot had some buckets of salt pellets (about size of hockey puck) you throw up there to melt a channel. I'm going to try those. Hope they work. Going to tape a plastic container of some kind on the end of telescoping pole, so I can put the pellets where they are most needed.
--
.
Had one here 6-9 inches think.
Took a 20lb bag of rough cut salt up, spread it,
On 2/19/2014 1:01 PM, BurfordTJustice wrote:

No new text?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

No new text?
--
perhaps Jesus can fix that for you, if you ask real nice.

<snip spam>
On 02/20/2014 04:50 AM, BurfordTJustice wrote:

Hi Burford,
You put your response under the "--", which tells our readers that it is part of your "signature" block and it displays in very lite gray. Put you response above the "--" and others will see what you wrote.
And you are correct, Jesus will fox things for you if you ask real nice.
-T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped

Most people don't type those dashes by hand, but if you check, the signature separator is "-- ", not "--".
There must be a single trailing space or it won't work.
--
Dan Espen

On 02/20/2014 11:07 AM, Dan Espen wrote:

I always wondered about that.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 02/19/2014 02:23 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

He stuck it in his "signature" block. Look for the dim gray text under his "--"
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 2/19/2014 11:40 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Here's what a local house inspector, who has plenty of experience with ice dams, has to say on the topic:
http://www.startribune.com/local/yourvoices/245430581.html
Basically, he says the safest and most effective way to get rid of dams is to use a steamer to melt them. As for future prevention, plan on adding insulation and sealing attic air leaks to prevent warm downstairs air from getting into the attic. He also notes that certain home and roof designs are predisposed to develop ice dams, and counsels prospective home buyers to be aware of that. It's a pretty good read. And as a couple of commenters on his article noted, steel roofing doesn't have ice dam issues, since the snow slides right off.
On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 1:55:52 PM UTC-5, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Main thing in the code to do with this is that new roofs in cold climates are required to have a waterproof membrane from the bottom edge of the roof, continuing up 2 ft above where the heated inside wall meets the roof. For typical soffit, that would be about 3 ft. Bigger soffit, then it takes a wider coverage.
On 2/19/2014 2:03 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

forced to re-roof the house. Or reshingle.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/19/2014 1:55 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Thank you for the link. Thinking ahead, and solve the real problem if possible. The one back room, a friend and I blew in six bags of cellulose, some years ago. It (back room) has much less ice dam and less icicles, though it does have some. Gets me to wondering if the other ice dam places need some cellulose and venting. Hmm.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Not only that, the people and satellites above you can't read your mind waves when you have a steel roof.
On 2/19/2014 11:08 PM, micky wrote:

--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 2/20/2014 5:55 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On a serious note, I gather the insurance industry thinks steel roofs are pretty darned great. Much more resistant to wind and hail damage than asphalt shingles, fire-resistant, longer lifespan. Anything that reduces their likelihood of paying a claim is going to make them very happy.
Steel roofing began showing up around here a year or so after I last roofed my house, dammit. I'd have chosen it in a heartbeat. The next time I roof will be the last time I roof, and I'll use steel. It'll outlast me.

If it's that important to you, next time I'll use steel, and that will outlast you.
the hockey puck shaped salt things didn't appear to do much.
The heater tape in the back did some thing, there was snow missing where the tape went zigzag, and might have been some channels through the ice dam.
On the front, not much visible change. There is one channel through the ice where I chipped and propane torched. Rest of it looks much the same.
I used the pole rig to put up some rock salt. Rock salt on the slippery ice dam slides off to the ground. Salt on the snow above the ice dam sticks in place. Might melt through the ice dam, or might melt and run under the ice dam and come through the ceiling.
Not sure what to do, now. Might take a torch or propane heater, and try to melt some of the ice off. Might try and find a roof rake, so I can remove the fresh snow before it remelts.
Might try and get Mom to let me put up some heat tape on the front, also. Meantime, not much to do but worry and wait.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

On 2/19/2014 11:40 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

situation. When I've had a problem with condensate drains clogging with ice, I've used a flexible braided coaxial heating element inserted in the drain to keep it free of ice. If the ice is building up in the areas of the roof which channel rain water like areas where different planes of the roof meet, I'm wondering if you could lay heat tape in those troughs to keep ice from building up? We don't have ice damn problems here in Alabamastan but that dam Global Warming could cause Climate Change which will give us plenty of icy winters to worry about. o_O
TDD

When I was out, I noticed there was some heat cable in the eaves troughs and down spouts. I looked in the logical places,and found a power switch for the heat tape. Turn that on. See if that helps. Always seems nuts to me, to use electric to remelt snow that has been refrozen. But, it beats water damage.
--
.
Christopher A. Young