And now, ice dams on Mom's roof

I always wondered about that.

Reply to
Todd

The pounding is spread out, and not concentrated.

With the thick ice, been wondering if a sawzall with coarse tooth blade might move ice. Likely to spray me with ice particles. Get down about an inch thick, get the rest with a torch.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi Stormin,

Now you risk burning your roof! How about just tossing a bucket of blistering hot water at spots to break the dam?

Course, if you burn your roof, you may actually find out from your mom if your really were adopted or not.

-T

Reply to
Todd

Not to ask too stupid a question, but did you sweep the rest of the snow off her roof and sweep the water build up out of her dam? Ice hanging over the eves with no water behind it shouldn't be an issue

Reply to
Todd

The affected area is covered in ice. And there is plenty of snow to put on anything that lights up.

The torch doesn't have a very large flame, and it's possible to keep the flame onto ice.

Throwing bucket of hot water would splash, run off, and do nearly no change. I'd be better off to run a garden hose off the laundry sink in the cellar, and run a gentle but long lasting stream.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Feb 20, 2014, 4:38 PM

Mom called. Says the guy who cleared the gutters last time, she called him out. He cleared them again. Again? The last time she was going to call the guy, it was about 15 degrees out.

When I was there today, there were several inches of ice. Asked how he managed that. She's not sure. But he cleared them out again, "chopped it out some how" and we're all set. I asked her to ask the guy how he did that, I'm curious.

With any luck, I'll never know.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I don't have a roof rake, but I may buy one some day. There was only a little snow remaining up there over the ice dams. We're expecting rain tonight, and that rain might go under the ice dams.

Of course, Mom said "the guy" chopped off the ice, and cleared the gutters. Not sure how he did that.

I may take a roll by tonight or tomorrow, and have a look see.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I couldn't make myself read all of the posts so far in this thread.

Did you say somewhere that the ice dams were causing leaks? If not, maybe the roof already has ice shield along the edges underneath the asphalt shingles and that is preventing leaks as it should.

So, is it leaking? Is that why you are trying to get rid of the ice dams?

Reply to
TomR

Just an idea, run the hose directly off your water heater. You can drain the gunk out of it at the same time. Suppose to do it once a year anyway.

Reply to
Todd

No roast beef dinner!?!?!? Why, why, MOMS THESE DAYS!

Reply to
Todd

SM: Yes, we have had leaks through the indoor ceiling. Most notably in the back room off the kitchen.

If not, maybe

SM: Would be nice. I'm not sure.

SM: I've not asked Mom if it has leaked so far this year, but she's very concerned about water coming into the house and causing damage. Yes, that's why we are trying to get rid of the ice dams.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That would drain cold from the bottom.

Mom called someone, and says the ice dams have been chopped off, and the gutters cleared. I've got to roll by some time, see this for myself.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, she did take me for pizza yesterday. And I got to take some slices home.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Huh? Every time I drain my water heater the water is hotter than the eternal golf course! Great for killing weeds!

Reply to
Todd

My faith in moms has been restored. Wait? No home cookin'????

Reply to
Todd

I wonder if a hot wire cutter like that used for slicing Styrofoam could be used to cut vertical slices which could help break up the ice like it was glass with a grove scratched in it? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Dunno. might work, or might refreeze behind the lines.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If the ice dams are gone, what's to see...empty gutters? Might as well wait till spring. They"ll look the same and you won't be so cold.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ice dam can be prevented with the regular cleaning of the roof but you must ensure the quality of roof coating applied on the roof. Only this way the damage will be minimum otherwise the damage will be maximum and you have to spend more money to recover the damages.

Reply to
epdmroofers

Where is krw when we need him? Oh, well...I'll say it for him:

Idiot

Reply to
DerbyDad03