ancient floor covering removal

My 150-year old house has some kind of very old floor covering - maybe linoleum I'm not sure. It's glued on with semi-transparent glue. I'm trying to get it off. Some of it comes easily, but some is stuck fast and the floor covering just tears leaving a white lower layer.

I've got a lot of it to do. I know that heat will slowly remove it, but does anyone have any tips?

Reply to
Dave Gower

Des Perado

Hard to say not knowing what the cement may be. Some can be beat with dry ice. You get it very cold and it is brittle and will come up easy. Some heat guns work will with.

Keep in mind that some (not all) of the stuff once used on floors had asbestos in it. It is safe until it is broken up. Sanding and scraping can be a bit of a problem. At the very least wear protective gear.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I would look at covering it since you don't know what it is. If you have to get it up try an Iron to soften it or dry ice to make it brittle and breakable

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

Dave, Depending on what era the floor covering was installed it could contain asbestos. I would recommend NOT sanding it until you are sure that it does not contain asbestos. If it does indeed contain asbestos then covering it with another product would be the best solution.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Asbestos requires special handling if you intend on removing it. Only HEPA respirators will protect you and if you disperse the fibers you'll contaminate the entire house be exposed to it indefinitely. If the floor contains asbestos (you can have it tested), either cover the existing floor without disturbing it or get a reputable asbestos-removal company to remove it.

Reply to
Ron

Well, that is what the LAW in most areas says. In reality, the significant risk is from dust, not long fibers. With a little common sense, and working the material wet (like from a spray mister), there is little risk from pulling up old floor tile. Setting up a containment zone and using bunny suits for that is just a racket, IMHO. That stringy stuff covering old ducts and water pipes, and inside old furnaces, is a different matter- you do want to use containment bags for that- it disintegrates into dust if you look at it wrong. Of course as a kid, I used to cut grayboard with a handsaw- who knew?

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Well, according to the gummint, OSHA safety experts, liberal Democrats, and tree huggers, that stuff is going to kill you. You might be 96 years old when you die, but it will kill you. ;-)

Steve

Reply to
SteveB