American beauty pagent contestant answers question on NSA Prism issue

Page 1 of 2  
Look upon the mindless brains of your american children and understand why as a nation you are destined for the toiletbowl as your conversion from a libertarian republic to a federal authoritative dictatorship happens before your very eyes.
==============================Miss Alabama answers a question about the NSA Prism program (Jun 16, 2013):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8vXrqHurTc

Question:
Gov't tracking of phone records has been in the news lately. Is this an invasion of privacy, or is it necessary to keep our country safe. Why, or why not?
Answer:
I think the society that we live in today its sad that if we go to the movies or to the airport or even to the mall that we have to worry about our safety, so I would rather someone track my telephone messages and feel safe where-ever I go than feel like you're encroaching on my privacy.
[Audience erupts in appause and cheers]
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Home Guy wrote:

Well, at least she looks good!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 14:02:56 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"

She's hot. Gave the right answer too. Same thing is done in Canada by their spooks.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Vic Smith wrote:

My son started school on an academic scholarship at University of Alabama last year. The first thing he told me is the girls are really pretty down there.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

The right answer? Whatever you think about what the NSA is doing, what she said makes no sense. It's completely contradictory. She first says that in an unsafe word, she's OK with the govt tracking telephone messages. Then she says she would rather feel safe than have someone encroaching on her privacy.....
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
No, I think her answer was OK.
She said she'd rather the government was allowed to monitor people's communications so that homegrown terrorists can be caught than people having to feel unsafe everywhere they go, and as an opinion, that's perfectly valid.
Sounds like this one has got a brain, too. I'll bet this one could even find the United States on a globe without help. :)
But, I disagree with asking contestants controversial questions about stuff like abortion, capital punishment, gun control, and this PRISM program to monitor the communications of US citizens. These are all controversial topics, and asking a contestant's opinion opens up the possibility of one of more of the judges voting for or against her just because they agree or disagree with her views.
They should ask them logic questions, like if Farmer Brown goes to Farmer Jones house and they sit down at the kitchen table for a drink of home brew. Farmer Jones says "I'll sell you this prize goat for $200." and Farmer Brown pulls two $100 bills out of his pocket and puts them on the table. But before Farmer Jones can pick up the money, the goat sticks out it's long tongue and eats one of the $100 bills. Now, who owns the goat?
--
nestork


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Based on the goat's behaviour, the US Government owns it. Eating money at that rate. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
No, I think her answer was OK.
She said she'd rather the government was allowed to monitor people's communications so that homegrown terrorists can be caught than people having to feel unsafe everywhere they go, and as an opinion, that's perfectly valid.
Sounds like this one has got a brain, too. I'll bet this one could even find the United States on a globe without help. :)
But, I disagree with asking contestants controversial questions about stuff like abortion, capital punishment, gun control, and this PRISM program to monitor the communications of US citizens. These are all controversial topics, and asking a contestant's opinion opens up the possibility of one of more of the judges voting for or against her just because they agree or disagree with her views.
They should ask them logic questions, like if Farmer Brown goes to Farmer Jones house and they sit down at the kitchen table for a drink of home brew. Farmer Jones says "I'll sell you this prize goat for $200." and Farmer Brown pulls two $100 bills out of his pocket and puts them on the table. But before Farmer Jones can pick up the money, the goat sticks out it's long tongue and eats one of the $100 bills. Now, who owns the goat?
--
nestork


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I basically don't mind monitoring of 'public' activities, since it is outside your home and affects people, seems like a reasonable loss of 'privacy', especially if all that surveillance is used to ensure safety for all. But, such monitoring didn't provide much safety in Boston. Plus, the IRS, is an example, proving to everybody, that govt intrusion into your business will probably not be used for the intended purpose [in their case, to prevent tax abuse] but used rather for harrassment and control. Therefore, completely understandable why citizenry has said, NO! to all this surveillance, because it is seen as a tool to control, not make their lives any safer.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The logic there doesn't add up. It's like saying that just because those particular methods didn't prevent every event, those methods are not effective in keeping us safer. NSA has said that the methods that were recently disclosed did help prevent or disrupt dozens of terrorist attacks both here and in 20 other countries.

Again, this is a big overreach. The IRS has used the overwhelming majority of all the information provided to it by taxpayers over decades for the purpose intended. Just because there is one incident where it has been abused doesn't mean the whole premise, the whole thing is bad. That's like saying because two cops somewhere abused their authority, beat up a suspect, etc, that all law enforcement is not doing what it's supposed to be doing.
The ironic thing about the current situation is that so far, we only know of one person abusing the information they were privy to. And that is Townsend, who looks more and more like he's anti-American and possibly has been helping the Chinese for who knows how long. One mighty fine question in all this is how this guy got to all that stuff. My suspicion was that since he was involved in network security, he figured out how to get into parts of NSA that he had no business ever being in.

I don't know on what basis you're concluding that. For example, the beauty queen gave a total green light to what sounded like unlimited surveilance, and the audience cheered her. I've seen polls that show that a majority of Americans are OK with NSA collecting phone records. They have concerns about it, but they have not said "no" to it.
It's not too hard to see how this is a powerful tool. Say there is a raid on a terrorist house in Somalia or Pakistan. They find papers that have some phone numbers on them. They find a disposable cell phone bought God knows where. Clearly being able to then run those numbers against the phone records NSA has logged would be a powerful tool. You'd find who, if anyone in the USA called them. Then you have a place here to start looking....
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
We can trust them to be completely honest, even knowing that a bad review might lead to reduced funding, or closing the agengy. Right? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
NSA has said that the methods that were recently disclosed did help prevent or disrupt dozens of terrorist attacks both here and in 20 other countries.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
How does one say no to it? I'd like to do so. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I've seen polls that show that a majority of Americans are OK with NSA collecting phone records. They have concerns about it, but they have not said "no" to it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 06-18-2013 08:40, Robert Macy wrote:

And in the past few days, most of the cell phone carriers have installed "Wireless Emergency Alerts" (WEA) software on your cell phone. The FCC gave them a choice whether to deploy it or not, but even before they made that choice, it was clear that _WE_ would not.
Three types of alerts: Amber alerts, Emergency alerts, and Presidential alerts. The first two you can turn off.
Think about that:
If you don't want to save a child, you don't have to.
If you don't want to save yourself, you don't have to.
But, bu golly, if the man in Washington has something to say, you best just shut up and listen!
AT&T's words:
<http://tinyurl.com/lsq9jcd If you have a WEA capable device, you are automatically enrolled to receive Wireless Emergency Alerts. Based on FEMA guidelines, you may opt out of the following types of alerts:
- Alerts involving imminent threats to life or property issued by the National Weather Service or other authorized emergency management agency - Amber Alerts (missing child alerts)
You cannot opt out of Presidential Alerts.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I too had to read that twice.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 06/17/2013 08:44 AM, Thomas wrote:

No need. Multiple readings don't make it any better.
Is this the one who intended to become a brain surgeon?
--
Cheers, Bev
<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 08:13:44 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Jesus H. Christ. Don't you ever learn? Here it is. Fuck you.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Forget to take your medications again? Here is what? What are you talking about? And why all the anger?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 08:13:44 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

No, no. No contradiction. Not than *have* someone encroaching. She said "than *feel* like you're encroaching..." IOW, she's going to ignore any feelings of encroachment she might have and just feel that the govt. is doing the right thing and that she's safe. We all might as well feel that way, because worrying isn't going to help. Unless one is going to demonstrate or something against the Prism? program, and she's made up her mind that she's not.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
It's easier to understand what she means if you just look at the second half of the response:
"... so I would rather someone track my telephone messages and feel safe where-ever I go "THAN" feel like you're encroaching on my privacy.
It's the word THAN that makes her response sound conflicted.
In her mind there are two options:
A) have the government track personal communications to stop the bad guys SO that she feels safe wherever she goes, or
B) have the government track personal communications BUT her feel that someone is encroaching on her privacy.
She's saying I'd rather have option A THAN option B.
Put any one of us on national television with 200 million people watching our every move and we'll all sound like idiots too. That big deal that happened a few years ago when some Miss America contestant sounded stupid was just nerves. No one with excellent genetics like that ends up with a brain that doesn't work.
--
nestork


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You're more confusing than she is. You don't have the option of A or B. The option is do you want tracking of personal communications with the inherent encroachment on privacy that comes with it. At best, she is flippantly ignoring the encroachment on privacy by seeming to indicate that she doesn't "feel it". That, IMO, is a bit scarey.
I can understand the value to having a log of all the phone calls in the US for the last 5 years. It's a powerful tool to be able to search it if needed. For example, raid a terrorist house in Pakistan, find a couple of cell phones you did not know existed before or even scraps of paper with another terrorist phone # in Somalia on it. You could run those phone #'s against the database and find out if anyone in the US has called them in the last 5 years.
And it's probably an acceptable tradeoff. But I do recognize that it is an encroachment on our privacy, I feel it, and recognize the danger that could come with it, if it's abused. I'm not sure the beauty queen gets that.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yeah, reading it again, I can see that interpretation of what she said, but it's poorly stated. A better way of stating it would be that she accepts that level of encroachment for the security she thinks it provides. The fact that it's encroachment is a fact, whether you feel it or not.
It's also interesting that the audience apparently thought it was a great answer. Yet the polls I've seen tend to suggest that the public is actually concerned about the intrusions. And a lot of people think Townsend is some kind of hero. If there were any doubts about that, what he just did should help remove them. The Guardian just published another story with info Townsend leaked. This time it's about how the British govt, US govt have done intelligence intercepts on world leaders, and other attendees at G8 summits. Including tapping Putin's phone calls. Now what the hell intercepting Putin's phone calls has to do with American civil liberties is beyond me. It's exactly what NSA, CIA etc are supposed to be doing. And then he times it clearly to embarrass Obama who is right now at the G8. And this skunk is supposed to be a patriot? We can only wonder at what else he has and how in the world security could be so lax that he got all this stuff.
You also have to wonder about him going to China. If he's so damned worried about civil liberties, what the hell is he doing there? He's also already told the Chinese of some of what the USA was doing with them. I wouldn't be surprised that the little prick has been "helping" the Chinese all along. It's like the Rosenberg's with the A bomb secrets. They thought it was unfair for the US to have an advantage over the Russians.
And maybe he thought the US was on to him, so he decided to flee and make this grandstand play. He's playing a dangerous game. The Chinese for example, might decide to make him disappear or turn up dead, especially if he is involved with them. They cover their tracks and get the bonus of making a big incident for the US, because people will suspect the US of doing it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.