Aluminum Railing

Page 2 of 2

SteveB wrote:

Thank you Steve.
Kate wrote:

Hi, I have a length of Al railing on my back porch and Vinyl fence. Did not need anything to do with Al. Replaced couple sections of fence due to cracking. Al. is more solid for sure.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Thanks. Just the info. I was looking for.
All other things being equal, aluminum will last longer. Irrigation pipe is made of a typical aluminum alloy, sees very harsh conditions, and usually lasts longer than its owner.
Then there's the issue of thickness and cross-section size. See if you can get to an actual installation and have a strong person really manhandle it.
Occasionally you hear corrosion rumors about aluminum in conctact with certain types of concrete, but if the aluminum is coated, I doubt that will be an issue.
mike wrote:

This newsgroup is awesome.
I saw quite a good portion of this railing already installed as a demo at Ziggys. It was very sturdy, and this is the one reason I am considering it. They had a vinyl display next to it, and it had quite a bit of give. I would not hesitate using vinyl for a privacy fence, but for a small deck railing, I have my doubts.
Yes, the aluminum is powder coated, and made by Regal.
Thanks for the feedback.
september.org:
We have aluminum railings with glass inserts - getting to end of third year now. The aluminum is great for sturdiness with no signs of corrosion - bolred to pressure treated wood decks and along a concrete retaining wall. The aluminum has a few small dents where it was bumped with shovels or something during moving time. PVC wouldn't dent but it could get black mould stains if you it is in the shade and damp - mould can't be cleaned out of PVC if it gets deep into the plastic. If the railing is high and dry and in the sun it won't mould but it may get stains from other sources such as tree sap.
The aluminum did need a few shots of silicon caulk to solve rattle noise from vibrations but it has been quiet for two years now.
We are in central Canada where it gets down to minus 35 and up to 90 degrees with lots of snow and rain.
Reno wrote:

Great info.
I do feel I will be going with the aluminum. There are no trees around the area either, so this should be a bonus. No small children around to climb around on it either.
Thanks for your input. Much appreciate.

When I bought my house it had a steel railing that the paint flaked off of and it rusted within about 6 years.Examination of the paint flakes showed that the metal had not been primed. It was at that time I decided to take off the rear deck and replace it with a concrete patio. I liked the looks of the steel so I checked to see if I could get more of it and see about other coatings to put on it. I knew it should have held up better than what it did. I managed to get a good deal on with an upstart company that was doing powder coating. They agreed to do the job for $150 if I would wait a few weeks for them to get an oven full. Well that was 14 years ago and they still look like the day they were installed. I suspect powder coated aluminum would do as well. I'm not sure of how well the vinyl holds up but I know several people who have put it up and taken it back out. Here in this neighborhood it seems like it always gets ripped out by the new owners whenever a house sales. I think its mostly because a lot of people just don't like the appearance of it.
Jimmie
JIMMIE wrote:

Thank you Jimmie. I am sold on powdered brushed aluminum. I have not received any bad info. on that product.

I should have mentioned, my table and chairs on the deck are powder coated aluminum. Over 20 years and still looks pretty good.