Aluminum Railing

Page 1 of 2

I am replacing my railing. At first, I was sold on vinyl, but today I was at Lowes/Ziggys and I think I like the powdered aluminum railings better.
The salesmen at both stores said aluminum will last longer, and the price is probably $50 more or less.
Does anyone have aluminum and do you like it?
Is anyone sold on vinyl?
Any feedback would be great.
Thanks.
Kate

Where is the installation?
Depending on the environmental conditions vinyl might be better than aluminum but could be reserved as well.
cheers Bob
fftt wrote:

After the concrete settles for about two weeks, I plan on installing the new railing. The entire area is covered overhead.
I live in central WA state and it gets up to 105 during the summer months, sometimes, and as cold as -10 which is rare.
Thanks.

In those conditions I'd use either depending on how sturdy each proposed product will be for the intended use. I've see the full range of aluminum or vinyl fences, gates & patio covers; from super strong to real junk.
Wood is hard to beat for strength & stiffness, maintenance is an issue though :(
For aluminum I was concerned about a seaside or very damp environment.
"after the concrete settles" ???????
concrete properly designed & placed should stay just were it was put
I hope the person responsible for the design & construction has worked out the "deck to railing" connections. They are usually best cast in place as opposed to a subsequent bolt on arrangement.
cheers Bob
fftt wrote:

that the concrete should cure before drilling holes into it to secure the new railing.
I had a redwood deck before, as well as a wood railing. I am just trying to keep things simple which is why I am interested in the aluminum or vinyl.
I did not want to cast the raining in place with concrete, just in case I ever needed to replace it. I felt that the type of railing that is bolted in place, and covered with a nice cap, would do the trick.

I would recommend you examine a similar "bolted in place" installation before you comment to that approach. The connection from the railing to the concrete is key. It is possible to embed appropriate hardware in the concrete such that the railing is easy to install & replace as needed.
A pure bolt-on, after the fact may not be as sturdy are you expect or want.
cheers Bob

I've not seen it, but I'd have to think that 10 years from now, the aluminum would be looking better. That is not to say the vinyl would be falling apart, siding last for 40 years or more, but it can get dull.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

picket fence six years ago. It is dull, and rough to the touch.
Many thanks.

    Is this an outside railing? Will it be in the sun. Aluminum can get very hot in the sun.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

about six hours a day. It isn't something that will really be touched.
says...

Are they vinyl or PVC? I have Sherline PVC railings with an aluminum I-beam inside the top rail. They are quite sturdy with a nice fastening system and very easy to clean. There are big differences in the strength of plastic railings as the price goes up.
--
Dennis

DT wrote:

powder coated. Is this the info. you asked for?

Powder coatings are very durable. Basically a plastic dust sprayed on to the metal, the stuff is then baked on in an oven.
Bob M. wrote:

Thank you Bob for all this good info. I am definitely going with the aluminum.
Kate wrote:

Be sure to report back in 10 or 20 years as to how it worked out:-))
Lou

Aluminum and vinyl are pretty flimsy, wont take much of a hit, dent, bend, sounds like you could fall right through them, wood or steel have strength. But I havnt seen the aluminum, aluminum is probably more expensive than steel, you are pulling a permit, ask the inspector what he thinks and what is "Allowed", stores sell what they have and not what is best. I use wood or steel.
ransley wrote:

Thanks for the info. The ones I am interested in are made of powder ocated aluminum. I saw them at Lowes/Ziggys Sunday, and they are quite strong. Like you said, the salesman did not recommend vinyl as it is alittle flimsy, and would not take much of a hit.

We need more information. Is this a railing that will prevent someone from falling over an edge and from a height? Or just one that is hand high, and on the ground? You want to make it so that the stupidest clumsiest person in the world could not fall over it or through it, or some lardass teenager lean on it and do a half gainer down to the driveway. I would do ornamental metal, but that's what I'd do. I don't like vinyl, as it cracks in cold weather, and the same amount of aluminum would be about 3x the money, regardless of what the salesman says, unless you're using some cheap thin aluminum.
Do it right if means someone's life is depending on it.
steve
SteveB wrote:

bench and table. Without a railing, one could jump off of it easily. It is not very tall. I am basically just "dressing up" the area. Code says I don't even need a railing. I just like the looks.

Okay. Big difference. Some decks are very high. Whatever fits, and you like is the thing to put there.
Steve