Aluminum fascia

How to correctly install aluminum fascia? With vinyl soffit I am more or less clear: install J-channel, put the soffit one side inside the channel, nail another to underside of wood fascia board. But with aluminum fascia I am unclear how it is installed. I am going to use pre-bent 6" wide 12' long aluminum fascia available at HD or Lowes. It is already pre-bent L-shape and matches my 6" wood fascia board. I understand that I wrap it wound the board and nail it with galvanized roofing nails underneath the board covering the soffit. Where does the top of the aluminum fascia go? Do I put it between plywood roofing sheathing and roofing shingles? Does it go on top of whaterseal membrane? Do I need to attach its top or face with any fasteners? What about drip edge? Do I need one? Which one to use and how and where to attach it? I will have gutters installed over fascia face.
The link to fascia/drip edge drawing would be very helpful.

One uses a hand brake to wrap the non-primary view around any corners leaving the primary a clear line of sight.

You nail it with painted SS trim nails using a nailset so it does not look like an elephant walked on your trim

It tucks under the drip edge. No drip edge a reverse bend is used to press against the shingle overhang. No drip edge? I have seen trim strip used along the top of the run, then the fascia tucks into that and any gutter mounts below it.

Others will disagree, some face nailing with the trims nails, mostly at the overlaps is necessary if you want it to be wind resistant. This is not so important when gutters will cover the board.
--
Colbyt

I do not have any aluminum or other drip edge. The first course of roofing shingles just overhangs the plywood roofing sheathing 1" or so. There is waterseal membrane around entire roof perimeter.

Next time get a licensed roofer that can follow the building code. For now, try to fix it by tucking an L-section flashing secured under the shingles with roofing cement. Installing gutters will hold it in place.
Joe

And for now use trim strip along the gables and optionally where the gutters will mount.
When the roof is done again the drip edge can go right over it.
Colbyt

Isn't fascia the plural of fascium or fascist?
Why are they aluminum?
In article
snipped-for-privacy@audible.com says...

Not sure what you mean by "wrap it around". The fascia is installed with the bent leg underneath, so it covers the ends of the soffit panels. Just slide the fascia up into place and nail through the face with trim nails, not roofing nails. The ends can be bent to tuck neatly into place.
The top edge would normally slide behind the face of the drip edge.
--
DT

Thank you. As I mentioned before I do not have drip edge. Roofing shingles just overhang plywood sheathing. I am trying to figure out if I should install drip edge first and then slide the fascia under the drip edge. My understanding now that aluminum drip edge is usually nailed to the roofing plywood sheathing before shingles are installed. I obviously cannot do this now after shingles are in place. I wonder how to attach the drip edge without nailing it or if I can skip drip edge and just slide the aluminum fascia underneath the roofing shingles.
I also read that it is better not to face nail the fascia and only nail it from beneath to fascia board and face will eventually be attached to the board when gutters are installed.

If you took time to read replies to your post you would have the answer.
Joe

The only info I see is using roofing cement. How do I do this? Do I pry the shingles up, put the cement and then aluminum drip edge and then press shingles down?
In article
snipped-for-privacy@audible.com says.

That's a new one on me. I don't think you could nail the underside of the fascia. There is nothing solid to back it up, it's just resting on the soffit panels, which aren't solid. You would just bend the heck out of the fascia. Just face nail it enough to hold it in place until the gutters get installed.
--
DT

Why is there nothing solid to back it up? Te aluminum fascia is wrapped around 2 X 6 fascia board so it is nailed to underneath that board. Is this not the right way to nail it?
On 1/13/2011 3:29 PM, ls02 wrote:

Not a fan of metal-wrapping fascia boards, aka gutter boards, at least not if the wrap doesn't go all the way up under the drip edge of the roof. The wrap on this place keeps the fascia board wet all the time (due to gutters filling with water whenever the too-small downspouts clog), and several sections have rotted out. One spot even directed water across the soffit, where it got into the wall and rotted out the window over kitchen sink, which previous owner replaced without solving the water problem. Fix ain't gonna be cheap or low-labor, so in the meantime I drilled some weep holes in the wrap to let water out. The casual observer can't see that it is trashed.
If I thought this place was worth the money, and I had the siding replaced, I'd have same crew strip the soffits and gutter board, put up plastic fascia, and plastic soffit. Need more attic venting anyway. Outside trim is one area where that plastic wood stuff made from old pop bottles really excels.
--
aem sends...

In article
snipped-for-privacy@audible.com says...

on
out
I thought from your original post that you were nailing the outer ends of the soffit panels to the lower edge of the 2x6. In that case, the aluminum fascia lower bend rests on the soffit panels, which are not very solid.
If you are using F channels on the house and on the back side of the 2x6, then yes, the aluminum fits against the edge of the 2x6 and could be nailed.
But even then, the 2x6 would have to be really straight or the aluminum might buckle. Face nailing avoids buckling.
--
DT