aluminium gutter repair

I've tried for the past few years to install or repair aluminium gutters in my house, but I've mostly failed in reliably getting leak free installations (either at the downspout or when connecting 2 pieces).
I've tried different type of caulk or sealant but I've always found them hard to work with (very sticky), as I can't use my fingers like I do with regular latex caulk to smooth out the caulk.
Note that I have the Black&Decker guide to roofing/siding, but they don't go into much details on how to apply sealant, quantities etc...
Do you have a brand/type of sealant and/or caulk to recommend, and maybe tips to share with me ?
thanks in advance.
Fred.
I would really appreciate any help on this from this group. thanks. Fred.

I think some makers of gutters have their own caulk. Check with Lowes/HD, you'll find many different types/uses caulks.
tom @ www.MedJobSite.com