Air handler problems with central heat/AC unit

The (gas) heater part of the furnace fires up just fine, but the air handler (blower, fan, etc.) doesn't come on as it should a minute or so after the furnace heats up - the fan does come on, though, when we move the switch on the programmable thermostat from "auto" to "on" - just changed the batteries in the thermostat tonight - checked all of the breakers in the supply panel - anything else we could look at before calling the AC repair guy? Thanks!

Depending on the age of your unit, it has either a thermal switch or a circuit board controlling the fan in heat. Not much else you can do at this point.
Bobby
The unit is 23 years old - I bet any parts required to fix it are gonna be expensive - thanks!

Maybe a bad thermostat
Well, not necessarily. But it sounds like something a tech would be able to fix.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus