air compressor regulators

Trying to figure out if my regulator works or not.
rb wrote:

OK, do you have a pressure gauge before and after the regulator?
"do you have a pressure gauge before and after the regulator?"
No. That's why I was asking this question. I think if I use an open line, it will shut itself off if I crank it hard enough.....
rb wrote:

I'd get some gauges. For some reason saying "if I crank it hard enough....." doesn't sound like a good way to take care of your regulator. Get some gauges.

I've tested the regulator on my compressor with bike tires. The tires on the bikes in the garage range from 40 PSI to 120 PSI. I set the reg to the desired pressure, pump up a bike tire, then measure the bike tire with a tire gauge. At least lets me kow if the regulator matches the tire gauge. Although I don't know for a fact if either one is actually accurate or not.
Ken
rb wrote:

Without a guage, how are you going to tell when it's right?
If the regulator is just tightened a little, the air pressure should be low. Use your air nozzle - it should have a weak jet of air. Turn it up, it should have a strong jet of air. Open hose settings are meaningless. If you are going from high to low settings, the hose pressure may stay high until you've let out some air.
Bob F wrote:

I think he is trained to put his thumb over a cut air hose and measure the pressure. He don't need no stinken' gauges. Just crank that thing as hard as you can. That's the way to test it.