ahmed the clock kid...

Page 1 of 2
conservativenewsroom.com You Won't Believe What Ahmed 'The Clock Kid' Is Demanding From This Texas City Conservative Newsroom It turns out that Ahmed 'The Clock Kid' Mohamed wasn't as innocent as the media portrayed him to be. Turns out that little Ahmed (and his attorney) are threatening the City of Irving, Texas for a lot of money - and a written apology from city officials.
The Mohamed family was so offended by the incident, they need $15 million to soothe their emotional wounds.
Here's the report from TheBlaze.com:
"The letter, obtained by Dallas Morning News reporter Avi Selk, gives city officials 60 days to 'comply' with the demands or face 'civil action addressing the causes of action and events' related to the infamous clock incident.
"The two officials being asked to publicly apologize are Irving Mayor Beth Van Duyne and Police Chief Larry Boyd. Following the publication of this article, Van Duyne first told TheBlaze that 'no one from the city has even seen the letter.
"She added, 'Apparently, it was more important to get the letter to the media first.' Roughly and hour later, the mayor confirmed the city had received the letter from the Mohamed family's attorneys."
Mohamed found international fame after he was arrested for bringing a reconstructed clock to school that teachers treated as a possible 'hoax bomb.' Mohamed's family quickly alleged anti-Muslim discrimination.
After making appearances at a number of high-profile locations, including the White House, Mohamed and his family moved to Qatar.
This incident, the meeting with Obama at the White House, and now this lawsuit, are all political correctness gone out of control. They appear to be pre-planned, with the goal of fooling enough Americans that we shouldn't be so tough on Muslims.
Do you think these incidents just happened on their own, or did they come out of the Saul Alinsky, Chicago-style politics playbook?
On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 10:24:49 AM UTC-5, Phil Kangas wrote:

Totally staged, I doubt it. The $15 mil lawsuit is going nowhere, unless of course the school and city's insurance carrier decides to settle it by giving them $50K or something. There ia a video in the days after where the kid laughs it off, clearly wasn't such a traumatic thing for him at the time.
On the other hand, the school and the cops did mishandle it. Hard to imagine that no one at the school could look at what was just a Radio Shack clock disassembled and put into an empty case and determine that it wasn't a bomb. All you had were electronics, nothing that could be the explosive. They could have called the kid's science teacher who already had seen it and he would have been there before the cops. Also hard to imagine the cops had to handcuff him, treat it like a bomb, etc. And if they all thought it was a bomb, why was the school not evacuated?
Then to top it all off, the kid is all over the news as being some kind of whiz kid that "built" the clock. In fact he didn't build anything. He just took the guts from an old RS clock and put it in an attaché case. So, maybe some of it was planned to create an incident. Otherwise, what's the point to putting clock guts into a briefcase?
trader_4 wrote:

It tells what kinda family they are. Retailer's nightmare is native East Indians, middle Eastern people. They try to haggle prices, likes freebies very much., etc., etc. They often cheat too.
Tony Hwang wrote:

I remember one Indian guy brought back a bottle of 50+ men's multi Vitamin asking for refund. Reason? he is allergic to the pills. There were less than 10 piils in the bottle. I said, "sure, you used up almost 90% of contents(90 in the bottle), so you get 10% of original price plus tax. You should bring it back as soon as you find out your allergy." They are like that.

After the 15% restocking fee, he should have owed you money.
Mark Storkamp wrote:

We just hoped he'd never come to our store again. Most of them are like that.
On 12/4/2015 10:59 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

That's funny.
When I'm in a store where I see Indian shoppers, I know the prices are good there.
On 12/4/15 10:44 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I'd disagree, at least within the current context of zero tolerance. If grade school kids are being expelled for chewing pop tarts into the shape of a gun, this seems like a perfectly reasonable response. In that context any way.

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 11:28:44 -0500, "Kurt V. Ullman"

I think opinion may have changed a bit when we found out this kid did not "invent" anything. He took an old clock radio apart and made the parts look like a bomb (it was actually a bomb trigger, just without the explosive). It was not as much a "mechanix illustrated" project as it was something from "inspire magazine"
On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 11:28:44 -0500, "Kurt V. Ullman"

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/02/16/chicago-school-suspends-11-year-old-for-voluntarily-turning-in-broken-toy-gun/

And if he had an AC powered clock that he disassembled, why would he be allowed to keep it in his possession when he might have exposed high voltage wiring that could be dangerous in a classroom with a bunch of other kids? Wasn't the case metal, or at least parts of it? How well did he isolate the workings from coming into contact with the case? Even if it wasn't a bomb, it could be lethal.
On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 07:44:15 -0800 (PST), trader_4

I disagree the cops mishandled it. It is always best to err on the side of caution. A couple hurt feelings vs. some possible dead bodies is no contest.

Consider the fact that the teachers and staff were probably not trained in explosives detection, it's not hard to believe they didn't know what they were looking at.

Publicity?
On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 12:30:34 PM UTC-5, Gordon Shumway wrote:

Sorry, if you're a science teacher and you can't tell what is just obviously electronics from a RS clock from a bomb, then you shouldn't be teaching. There was nothing there that could have been the explosives, looked even remotely like explosives, etc. Apparently even the science teacher knew that, because I believe the kid had already shown it to him. He didn't freak out and call the cops. It was only later that other school officials flipped out. All I'm suggesting is that if they had just talked to the science teacher, all this could have been avoided. And if they and the cops were all so concerned that it was a real bomb, why didn't the evacuate the school?
On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 09:54:42 -0800 (PST), trader_4

No one ever thought it was a bomb. The controversy was that the kid had a hoax bomb. I am sure you know that by now.

On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 1:04:34 PM UTC-5, Seymore4Head wrote:

No, I didn't know that. That makes it even dumber. Why does taking ] an old RS clock and putting it into a case constitute a hoax bomb? The kid never said it was a bomb or implied it was a bomb. I'm beginning to think he should get compensated.
On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 13:51:12 -0800 (PST), trader_4

The timer looks like an IED and a timer can be used as an IED. It certainly looks more dangerous than a pop tart.

It's like bringing a pretend gun to school. It is against the rules to bring anything into school to try to cause panic.
The zero tolerance policy gives the teachers no choice.
The kid that made a gun out of a pop tart said he wasn't even trying to make a gun. He was trying to make a mountain but it turned out looking more like a gun.
I had a neighbor who's kid was suspended. The kid drew a picture of his teacher with a gun pointed to him/her.
Zero tolerance is madness but it is not Islamophobia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzUtR5TvuzQ

By his on testimony, he is aware that it could look suspicious.
He also says it is put together from scrap. Do you think his "invention" was made from scrap?
On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 6:10:56 PM UTC-5, Seymore4Head wrote:

The clock once you look at it, looks exactly like an electronic clock to me. In fact, a few days later, someone identified it as exactly that, a RS clock, just from the pics. Also a timer can't be used as an IED, it can only be used as one component of an IED. Cell phones are commonly used too. Do they call the cops for people that have one of those?

I haven't seen evidence that he tried to, intended to, cause panic. I'd like to see the list of prohibited items that the school better have. I bet electronic clocks aren't on it.

Well, that's exactly part of the problem. I can see the school officials taking a look at it, taking it away to give it back at the end of the day and telling him not to bring it or similar back. But calling in the cops seems extreme. At least some cops seem to agree. The student dragged out of her chair by the cop, the police chief said that the schools should be dealing with incidents like that themselves. This case fits that too. But like you say, the PC culture has lead to this nutty zero tolerance policy, where no one wants to or can do the simple, right thing, instead they just kick it up the chain. What's next, call the ATF and FBI?

And I don't think it was proper to discipline the kid for that either. But did they call the cops and did the cops handcuff him?

I can see and agree with that. THAT is an actual threat.

I didn't say or imply that what happened was islamophobia.

That's a good video with a lot of info and background that I was unaware of. I didn't know that the first teacher he showed it to told him it looked like a bomb and not to show it to anyone else. And that he continued to show it, had it plugged in and the alarm went off during class, etc. I also had never seen the interview where he says he put a wire through the latch to make it look "less suspicious"? Makes no sense and like you say, does show that he knew it could look suspicious.
I thought at the time, when a few days later it came out that the "invention" or whatever you want to call it was just a RS clock put into a case, that the media was running amok. They were making him out as some kind of genius kid, when what he did was trivial. At that age, I was buying electronic kits, putting together designs from magazines, etc.
I also watched the second video, where it comes out that he's been in plenty of trouble before, looks like he's out to cause disturbances, get attention, etc.
So, I agree his case should get tossed. But I wouldn't be surprised if they give him $$ to settle it.

Agree, I never saw that prior to the video.

No, absolutely not. Like I said above, when a few days later someone showed how from pics it was clearly a RS clock, I thought at that point that was all it was and the media is just silly. Also, in that video, he says he put it together in 20 mins. That's the time it would take to stuff a RS clock into a case. It's not the time it would take if he was actually designing a clock out of components or even boards, etc. So, in the video he's clearly lying too, with some BS about using a board, assembling it, etc.
On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 06:58:46 -0800 (PST), trader_4

I imagine if you had the phone cracked open and wires coming off the vibrator motor to a "black box" the bomb squad would get a call. Plastic explosive can be formed into any shape you like.
I agree with those who say this kid tried to make it look like a bomb, even though there was no explosive involved. It certainly fits into the "no tolerance" policy as well as the pop tart gun. (or just pointing your finger and saying bang) The policy may be stupid but if that is what they are doing, you should not be surprised when they have stupid results.

Uh, read you loud and clear on this. Another non political issue turned into one. Since the first I've thought they were on the money trail. The prez involved Ha. Some "project" Follow the money. It's for the kids. Distract from Billary whatever. End of rant-for now.
--
Tekkie

On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 06:58:46 -0800 (PST), trader_4

A drawing on a piece of paper is a threat? From a mid schooler? Please!