Aging water heater

My water heater is a 16-year old Ford 50-gallon, heated by an oil-fed Riallo "furnace." I understand that at age 16 it is on borrowed time and I don't want to press my luck. I've been told by a service technician that the Riallo is in great condition and is about the best one can get. Would like to replace my unit with another

50-gallon. My questions:
  1. Are there any oil-fired heaters out there today? If so, can anyone recommend any and what are approxiate costs?
  2. Can an electric or gas unit be adopted to the Riallo "furnace", or vice versa? Again, recommendations and approximate costs? Thanks in advance for any and all input. Sid Waine
Reply to
sidw

Lockinvar makes oil fired water heaters. Check locally for pricing, it varies to much.

Reply to
SQLit

Who told you it was on borrowed time? Did the advice come from someone connected to selling water heaters? Your service tech *may* get a finders fee from the sale. My gas fired tank is 43 years old, no sediment, does not leak, and still gets excellent marks from our utility inspector, so years by themselves mean little. Has more to do with tank lining, materials, water properties, use, maintenance, local installation environment, plumbing connection quality, etc etc.

Reply to
Roger

Your tank is on WHOs borrowed time ? Yours or HIS. I suspect his since he is probably broke

Reply to
m Ransley