after installing toilet found too close to wall,H20 tank wont fit right, need 2in+

Years ago, a coworker of mine hired a handyman to replace her toilet. The handyman failed to check out the existing toilet/bathroom first. He replaced a round bowl commode with an elongated model. Problem was just as you've described - it was next to the door, so now the door hit the rim of the new toilet. The handyman's solution: he cut a slot in the door at the level of the bowl.

And that, folks, is an example of how hiring a handyman can be a buyer-beware experience.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

If people took the time to use a tape measure, they would not get into this predicament. But the average homeowner most likely thinks all toilets are the same.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Before I became a plumber, I worked as a handyman. That is how I got the plumbing job. But anyhow, I would have never considered doing such a thing. I always did things right. In fact I got a few customers wanting me to do a half assed slop job, thinking it would be cheaper. I would explain that it would NOT be cheaper, if I had to use junky materials or patch together a faucet that was clearly overdue for replacement, and so on. If they insisted on getting a slop job, I usually told them to find someone else to do the work. I had plenty of work, and did not need to do jobs which would cause me problems. Doing a half assed job only invites callbacks, and then they expect the callback work for free.

Anyhow, like everything, there are good and bad workers as well as their customers.

But yea, I did see more than one door cut to fit around a toilet, and more than once I was called just to do something about this issued by a new home owner who bought the house with the cut away door. I recall one where there was no way to get a toilet that would fit, so after discussing this with the owner, the solution was to replace the door and frame, and make the door open outwards, which worked fine.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

LOL! For a reliable flush with the offset flange, all he needs is a simple sign "Number 1 ONLY!" If he has guests that cannot read, stretch a piece of screen across the top of the bowl to discourage repeat offenders.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Or replace the john with a urinal

Reply to
clare

Sue your plumber.

Reply to
Paintedcow

My tolit tank does not fit its 1/2ways in the wall

Reply to
granadosdanny63

Sounds like you didn't measure the rough-in before purchasing your toilet. The the rough-in is the distance from the wall behind the toilet to the middle of the waste pipe the toilet will fit over. The current standard is a 12-inch rough-in, but older homes often have a

10-inch rough-in. You should always measure the rough-in before buying a new toilet, to make sure you get one that will fit the space.

You'll need to pull the toiler and purchase one that fits the space. Your local store may have one in stock, or they may have to special order it for you. If it's a two-piece toilet, you could look for a smaller, narrower tank designed to fit toilets in mobile homes or RVs and see if you can make it fit to the existing stool portion of your current toilet. But installing a toilet sized to fit the space is the best bet.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Moe DeLoughan posted for all of us...

He could also try an offset flange in desperation...

Reply to
Tekkie®

We put in a bunch of them at work, in a dorm.

Bad idea. Now we're ripping them all out and redoing. Kept getting backed up toilets.

Reply to
TimR

replying to nestork, Anti-Hypocrite wrote: I just bought a 10" rough "Jacuzzi" brand toilet for this very same reason. The closet bolts line up perfectly and the toilet sits in the space just right, but the tank is still 1" too far back and cannot be seated on the toilet because it is blocked by the wall. So much for the 10" rough in solution.

Reply to
Anti-Hypocrite

Anti-Hypocrite posted for all of us...

Nestork hasn't been around for years. Get a real newsreader and find out that this has been discussed many times.

Reply to
Tekkie®

I love Tekkie's reply to you, spot on!! Four year old post, dummy.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann