Advice to young home owners...

Page 2 of 2

She's very fortunate, and you're very fortunate also to have those genes passed down to you! I hope you appreciate it...I'm quite envious!!
Liz
:
:> :>> :>> Liz - 63 and feeling it!!:> :> 63? Thats very young. My grandmother is 83. She still insists on :> digging up 2 rows of spuds in the fall, splits her own firewood and :> does her share of snow shovelling - she won't tolerate anyone doing it :> for her.: :She's very fortunate, and you're very fortunate also to have those genes :passed down to you! I hope you appreciate it...I'm quite envious!! : :Liz
There's more to it than genes. Yes, the genes are necessary but "if you don't use it you will lose it." It's the lady's perspicacity that keeps her going. If she let that slide for a year, she'd have lost those abilities forever.
Then, when you're too old to do anything, you can sit around in your beautiful house and reminisce about spending every spare moment you had working on your house.
Seems like you're screwed either way.
Ian Pilcher snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

You can still do it. It may take longer, or maybe not, due to the accumulated experience. Just do it - and enjoy it!!
Dave - 64 & still enjoying it
:....Do it now! When we were young, in our 20s and 30s, DH and I put so many :things on the back burner, waiting til we were older and had the time to do :what we knew we wanted to do. What we never took into consideration was the :fact that when we got older we might not have the same degree of energy and :(more important) flexibility that we had when we were young. If we could :just go back 25 years we'd do things differently. We'd somehow find the time :to build those floor to ceiling shelves in the spare bedroom, replace the :asbestos floor tiles in the downstairs laundry room and powder room, and :install closet systems in all of the bedrooms of our 50-year-old home. Now :those once manageable (by us) chores and home renovation projects are :beyond our physical capabilities, and we have to hire others to do most of :the things we once did ourselves with little effort. Maybe as young people :we were abnormally naive, but I sure wish someone had given us fair warning :that the ability to do what we once were able to do would decrease :significantly as we aged. So hopefully some of you younger readers will :heed this warning - Don't wait! Do it NOW while you can. : :Liz - 63 and feeling it!!
I turned 62 last summer, and yeah, I'm not as physically capable as I once was. However, I'm determined to not let my age or physical handicaps prevent me from ambitious projects including working on my house. I still have working out at the gym at the top of my list of priorities and as such have as much physical strength and much of the endurance of most guys half my age. Oh, I have my aches and pains sometimes, but damn 'em, I've got to get the job done! :)
Dan, in a hungry fixer-upper