Advice to young home owners...

Page 1 of 2
....Do it now! When we were young, in our 20s and 30s, DH and I put so many things on the back burner, waiting til we were older and had the time to do what we knew we wanted to do. What we never took into consideration was the fact that when we got older we might not have the same degree of energy and (more important) flexibility that we had when we were young. If we could just go back 25 years we'd do things differently. We'd somehow find the time to build those floor to ceiling shelves in the spare bedroom, replace the asbestos floor tiles in the downstairs laundry room and powder room, and install closet systems in all of the bedrooms of our 50-year-old home. Now those once manageable (by us) chores and home renovation projects are beyond our physical capabilities, and we have to hire others to do most of the things we once did ourselves with little effort. Maybe as young people we were abnormally naive, but I sure wish someone had given us fair warning that the ability to do what we once were able to do would decrease significantly as we aged. So hopefully some of you younger readers will heed this warning - Don't wait! Do it NOW while you can.
Liz - 63 and feeling it!!

=

better. Thanks!
Liz
Liz wrote:

I've often wondered why we put off all the projects we want done until just before we move out... so the next guy can enjoy them instead of us. Doesn't make much sense, does it?
I used to run a dive shop and I can't count the number of people who've come in, sighed, and then made a comment about they wished they had learned how to dive back when they were young. I determined then and there to develop a list of the things I want to do before I die. I managed to knock off about 90% before I became physically unable. If I die in the night, there'll be no regrets about what I didn't get done.
And actually, since I had my hip replaced, I'm much more capable now than I was 10 years ago...
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

LOL! I'm scheduled for my second hip replacement on 1/6, which is probably what prompted my post! The problem is, even though I know that surgery will cure what ails me currently, it will have no effect on what's coming around the bend in the future.
Youth is truly wasted on the young!
Liz
Liz wrote:

He who failed to look after his own health is biggest fool! Old Chinese saying, "Young man wasted his health to get rich, old man used up his wealth to regain his health. May I ask how heavy you are? I am 165 lbs. 6 feet tall all my life. I am 65 now and can keep up with my dog and 21 year old son climbing Rockies or running in the open field. Health is your choice, you're what you eat! I don't smoke, I don't drink. Happy holidays. Tony

About half bull shit. It does not matter what you eat when you have hereditary problems. Congratulations on your good health, but many people have no control over their organs and the faults they were born with. Before you brag about how good your health is because you took care of your body, visit a children's hospital and then tell me what they ate wrong.
wrote in message

Man, if that ain't the truth! I've got a couple of organs that are totally out of control.
Oscar_Lives wrote:

No one is born perfect. No one is 100% healthy. But knowing what your weakness you can minimize pain and suffering. Again number 1 is your diet. If your eating habit is bad, you make things worse and more difficult. An example, if you have joint pain, eat acid/mucous causing food, your pain will get worse. Tony

I agree about diet. But you have no way to know what Liz's, or anyone else's, heath issue is, and no cause and no perogative to comment on it the way you did.
Banty
wrote in message

Hey, Banty, don't worry about it. I used to be cocky about my excellent health and stamina too. My joints may not be as strong as Tony's, but my grammar is better! ;^)

obnoxious to address people the way he did.
Tony, if you want to post on the advantages of a good diet, start another thread, instead of trying to kick someone when they're (part-way) down. Apparently you didn't develop this good personal trait when you were young, or you would (your own words imply) still have it.
In addition, not drinking is no better than drinking moderately.
And no matter what, you might be sick tomorrow. I'm sure most people know enough to agree.
: :> May I ask how heavy you are? I am 165 lbs. 6 feet tall all my life. I am :> 65 now and can keep up with my dog and 21 year old son climbing Rockies or :> running in the open field. Health is your choice, you're what you eat! :> I don't smoke, I don't drink. :> Happy holidays. :> Tony: :About half bull shit. It does not matter what you eat when you have :hereditary problems. Congratulations on your good health, but many people :have no control over their organs and the faults they were born with. :Before you brag about how good your health is because you took care of your :body, visit a children's hospital and then tell me what they ate wrong. : Of course, you are right Edwin, but I think that Tony has a right to brag. I'm not fond of that "you are what you eat" maxim, nor the "youth is wasted on the young" one. Pick your maxims with care, I say.

Tony, I hate to disillusion you, but I'm 5 foot 6 and weigh 142, certainly not obese by any standards, and this is the most I've ever weighed in my life. As I haven't been able to do much exercise due to the hip pain, I've gained 10 pounds in the past year. Actually, the arthritis which has plagued me since my 40s was inherited from my mother, and she inherited it from hers. In addition, until my first hip replacement in 3/02, I jogged anywhere from 20 to 30 miles a week but not on trails, and that constant pounding on hard surfaces didn't help matters any. As my orthopedist told me, I came upon this condition honestly! You are very fortunate that your body has not betrayed you, and I truly hope you continue in that direction, but please don't assume that everyone who requires joint replacement has brought it on themselves due to bad habits!
Liz
Neighbor has had both hips and one knee replaced and her son had hip replacement at age 52!

:Youth is truly wasted on the young! : :Liz Only on the young who waste their youth. Someone once said they'd wasted their 20's and my reply was that I didn't waste my 20's, and I meant it. Not all young people waste their youth.
Dan

Liz, nothing personal, but it's time you joined the gym, girl!
and try to walk 4 miles or more per day if it is cold, bundle up and go anyway
and lose that extra 70 lbs you have been carrying around
do all of these things and you will have the flexibility and energy of a youngster!
now get movin!

I have belonged to our local Y for 20 plus years, plus have a membership at Slim & Tone which is currently frozen until March.

Only 4?

If I lost 70 pounds I'd weigh 72 and need to be hospitalized.

Now THAT would be nice!! Too bad I can't comply due to medical issues.

Yeah, right!!!

Liz wrote:

More likely you'd need to be buried. <G>
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Liz wrote:

63? Thats very young. My grandmother is 83. She still insists on digging up 2 rows of spuds in the fall, splits her own firewood and does her share of snow shovelling - she won't tolerate anyone doing it for her.