Advice on Duetz-Allis Lawn Tractor

I have the option of buying a Deutz - Allis Model 1616 lawn tractor with a house that I am buying. It has a 16 HP B&S V twin engine, hydro drive, 44" deck. It appears to be in good condition. They are asking $400 for it. I am not familiar with this brand of mower. Repair parts available? Any advice or comments about this brand?......Thanks, John

Reply to
jburnett

Deutz (German) bought Allis-Chalmers quite a number of years ago -- mid-70s'/early-80's I'd estimate although don't remember for sure any longer. They were then bought out by Agco and the Allis line hasn't existed as a separate brand for quite a while.

My understanding is that the Deutz-Allis time period was pretty miserable on for all associated w/ Allis. We had moved from Allis to JD and Case by then so my history is kinda' sketchy.

I'd think $400 is probably not a "deal" but if it's in decent shape if you need something similar to its capabilities, probably not a bad deal. Over all made decent stuff although don't know the lawn product line. For current parts availability you'll have to check w/ a Agco dealership or the Agco web site and see what you can learn. Probably best bet is to call local dealership and just ask although might be interesting to see if the old stuff is online at

(I didn't look...)

hth...

Reply to
dpb

I got curious after my other post (which hasn't shown up yet) so looked a little more -- Deutz bought A-C in '85 and Agco bought it in '90 so the age is pretty well narrowed down. At that age $400 is probably high unless it hasn't had a lot of use. Then again, it would probably be hard to find something as large and well-built for that price that you could/would be any more certain about.

And, btw, besides looking for a local Agco dealer, you might try Massey-Ferguson as they're also Agco-owned now (along w/ old Cat Challenger, Gleaner, Hesston, and a bunch of others in the ag line). Looking at the lawn and garden side, it appears that Agco-branded lawn equipment may now be being made by Simplicity from the "contact us" link on the dealer locator page.

dpb