Advantium 120 repair

I have one and last night while preheating the convection oven, there was a strange flash and poof and now the convection oven/broiler doesn't work. The speed cook and microwave still work.

Is there any easy thing I can do to get to what must be a fried part, short of a home call by an appliance tech. The machine is three years old and out of warranty (I suspect)

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Hi, Only thing you can do is a replacing blown fuse(if any), tightening up looseor burnt connection or replacing heating element(if poofed). All else is electronics based on ASIC.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Isn't that the one powered by a heating lamp or sorts? If so, it probably burned out. See if it is easily replaced by the consumer.

Check an appliance repair site like

or applianceaid.com

Check this out

Ed Pawlowski

I'm not much inclined to perform surgery on mine. Too much chance of screwing something else up. I've done a little research which didn't really help, your links look promising.

In the long run, it may be cheaper to just run it as a microwave and buy a bigger counter top convection oven or something similar . Maybe I can find a countertop microwave/convection/broiler and just use the space for more storage.

thanks

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

The net's saved my hours and hours of wrong-headed approaches to repairs, especially for computer related stuff. I picked up a 500GB Acom "Hybrid" password-protected drive that I couldn't reformat. I was about to try all the standard "fixes" when I decided to look it up first. Just a few clicks on Google and I discovered that dozens of people had done all of the same useless stuff I was contemplating, and that the only "repair" was to find the program that reflashed the HD controller built into the USB enclosure.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

That toy called The Internet I played with back in the 90's is now an absolute necessity that I can't function without especially with regards to business. Millions of people can share their knowledge and experience in ways that were not possible in the past. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yep, as I get more senile, the Web gets smarter all around me. One of those weird trade-offs. I found on Amazon that my Acom Hybrid drive got even WORSE reviews, percent-wise, than the Advantium oven. Time to crack it out of its enclosure and reformat it as a regular drive. One of the reviews pointed out exactly where on the hard drive the password was stored unencrypted. Apparently, the only thing this password protected drive is good for is failing and taking 500GB worth of data with it. Nice to know from others on the that it's not worth reclaiming. Yet I have a friend who refuses to acknowledge that the Web can be useful for solving any technical problems, even when I've used it to help him diagnose his technical problems. Go figure.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

One of my customers had a couple of ViewSonic monitors fail, so I looked the model up on The Web and found there was a common problem with the power supply in that model. I was able to upgrade the power supplies with higher voltage electrolytic capacitors and the monitors have been trouble free since then. It saved a lot of time and I was able to get him back in business very quickly.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Just being able to download instruction and service manuals is worth its weight in gold. I remember going to Kitty Hawk for vaction a few years ago and not having access to the web for a week. I felt like a heroin addict going "cold turkey." I've learned an incredible amount of stuff just reading through AHR on a regular basis. Why, if it weren't for the net I wouldn't have found this:

A blank firing machine gun replica that I gave to myself as this year's birthday present. (-:

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I bought a $200 netbook. Plenty of free wi-fi both here and in Europe so that I've been connected every day. Small, but easily carried. I added a small wireless mouse too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Which one? I'd like to have one that works.

Reply to
Han

Microsoft Wireless 4000. They were on sale for less than $20 a few months back. Bought one for myself and my wife's laptop too. Has a very small USB receiver that can be left in place.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks, Ed! $19 at Amazon.

Reply to
Han

I have what looks like a similar model. I bought it new at a sears discounter. $250

I thought it would be a great combo turbo/ microwave. The trouble is, my little super turbo oven will brown and split a hot dog from cold start, 6 minutes. Unfortunately my little super unit is no longer made and no one makes anything like it with removable basket.

The heater coils in my sears/ ge are in the top. You probably have to remove outer cover to get to them. You can see them glow looking through the front door. Look like springs. Also, is the fan running? You also mention broiler. I have no browning exposed radiating element. Maybe yours is different.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I'll check. thanks

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

There might be a helpful solution in this link:

have no idea if this thread is still relevant.

Reply to
Genghis Khan

I also found this: bit.ly/3tPtxl6 and this:

Genghis Khan

Reply to
Genghis Khan

Genghis Khan