Admiral dryer question

In 2003, I had to replace the fan blower on my Admiral dryer. Yesterday, the blower again cracked around the D-shaft and I've got to buy a new one. One thing that I do not remember how I worked around the first time is that there is a ring in front of the blower that holds the blower on the shaft...what is this called? Is it a 'snap ring'? It looks like a horseshoe with two very tiny holes at the ends. I don't want to force taking it off, in case I damage it.
Is there a tool to make it easier to open/close this ring and/or would a local hardware store have one, or would I need to go through service center?
TIA, Dave
Dave,
They're called snap-rings or circlips. They are very common. Any hardware store should have a selection of snap-rings and most should sell snap-ring pliers. You won't damage it by forcing it off and if you do you can get another at the hardware store.
Dave M.