Adhesive Suggestions Requested

Hello,
Would appreciate any suggestions as to the "best" adhesive to use to fasten a piece of wood to the concrete foundation. Indoors usage.
Just the regular Devcon epoxy as sold in the hardware store, or are there much better ones available these days ?
Gorilla glue ?
Or some, what I think are termed, Structual Adhesives ? If so, Brand and Type, please, as I'm really not familiar with these types at all ?
Thanks, Bob

I would strongly suggest some kind of mechanical fastener. Any wood attached to the foundation should be pressure treated, and the chemicals used to treat the lumber will resist the action of the glues.
Just my $.02
JK
Big_Jake wrote:

------
thickened epoxy - but then again, I'm in the epoxy business! - paul

Agree with the pressure treated problem/warning. The green treated wood does not fare well with epoxy in my experience. However, I do have set of cellar steps in a so-so environment that were assembled from 'the other stuff', whatever that is, which are still sound a decade later. So I guess the best plan would to be use a dry type treated lumber and epoxy for maximum adhesion. Tapcons or RedHeads sure wouldn't hurt.
Joe

PL400 with mechanical fasteners. I swear by it. http://www.stickwithpl.com/Products/detail.asp?PLProductID

Guess it depends on what the wood is being glued to the cement for and what is the impact if it should fail at some point in time. PL construction adhesive has a lot of holding power to where you often have to destroy things to break the bond once it cures.
Another really good brand of adhesives is Sika.
    http://www.sikaconstruction.com
and click on FIND A SIKA PRODUCT then Products by Application. One of the categories is Multi-Purpose Structural Adhesives which you specifically meantioned. I've seen some Sika products at HD.

More details. Liquid Nails works well for base molding, comes in a caulk-type cartridge.

In 1963 I put two coats of Lepages Contact Cement on both the sole plate of the wall and along the line where I wanted to attach the wall. After all this time and countless encounters with water, the sole plate is still anchored firmly to the concrete floor.

Gorilla glue is WAY overrated, especially when used with PT wood. Many of my projects have come apart after a few months.
Red

I have not tried these types of glue, due to the cost and short shelf life. However it claims to be waterproof and foams up to fill cracks, if that is important. But, I have found the tradiitonal waterproof wood glues (Titebond or Elmers) to hold up well over 15 years. The problem with PT wood is that it is usually very wet when purchased, and if dried it may twist, wane, cup, split and bow if not properly weighed down or clamped. Most glues need a little preparation work, ie, a clean dry surface.

Per instructions with the gorilla glue, you moisten the area to be glued prior to applying the adhesive (apparently what causes the foaming) so a dry surface is not what you want. And while the glue itself may possibly be waterproof, the adhesion to the wood is very poor IMO. I believe Titebond & Elmers to be far superior to Gorilla and a lot less expensive.
Red

http://www.selleys.com.au/Adhesive-Selection-Guide/default.aspx

Try this selector. It includes many manufacturers products and goes into detail on the selection criteria.
http://www.adhesives.org/TechnologySelector.aspx
Robert11 wrote:

My curiosity is killing me. Just what are you needing to mount, anyway? I usually just hang wood straps from the sill plate, and mount to that.
-- aem sends...
Hi,
Thanks for help.
Want to get an additional clamp to rigidize a water pipe.
Only place to pick up the other end is off of the concrete foundation.

Other than the glues and epoxy that everyone mentioned, I have had great success using PhenoSeal. It's an adheadive caulk that seems to work on anything and everything. MLD