Adeqiate venting in the attic

A friend is getting a new roof. She has a gable vent at each end of the unfinisthed attic, about 40 feet from end to end, but I wondered if it would still help to put a ridge vent along the ridge. What do you think?
It's a one story house with basement. She runs the AC all summer. She seems to have aluminum trim on all the soffitts, and I didn't see any venting there, but it was practically dark out. At any rate, if she needs more soffitt venting, it isn't an especially good time just because she's getting a new roof, is it? She coudl as easily do it later??
Same friend who had to pick a roof color:
My house is 110 yr old with gable vents , they have worked as there are no roof deck issues or mold. If you see mold you need more, a ridge or vents near the peak will probably help in summer cooling at night if gable vents are well below the peak. Gable vents let in alot of air .
mm wrote:

If they are the right size and no one has covered over soffit vents, no additional vents are needed and if those gable end vents are high on the wall, the ridge vents may not help at all.
On the other hand if the existing vents are marginal or sub par, then now is the time to improve the venting.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 00:12:32 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

Thanks to both of you. These are things to think about. I think this roofer is very good, and I'll have her ask him if he thinks the vents are high enough. This particular roofer, because of the way he treated me and some of my neighbors, I don't think would lie just to make another ??/100? dollars.