Additional return duct addition cost

Page 2 of 2
In typed:

Here are my thoughts, but I am no expert on this.
I would think of it like this:
1) The guy came out and gave you an opinion on what the problem is, suggested a solution, and gave you a price. I don't know if he charged you for that service, but from the way that you wrote this I am assuming that he did not.
2) It couldn't hurt to get another opinion as to what the problem is and what would be a good solution; plus get a price from the second opinion person for whatever solution he suggests.
3) If it were me, I think that I would test the theory of the first person by taking the vent cover off of the noisy return vent and seeing how the system sounds with the vent cover off. If the 16x20 return duct is too small and is causing a restriction in the return air flow which is causing the noise, then the vent cover itself will be restricting the return air flow even more. By taking the vent cover off and seeing if that changes the noise situation, you could help confirm whether the first contractor's theory is correct.
4) What is below the living room? Is it a basement with an open joist ceiling, or a crawl space with an open joist ceiling, or what? Do you know where the contractor is proposing to run the new return duct -- in between the ceiling joists, or somewhere else?
5) Depending on where and in which direction the ceiling joists run, would it be possible to create another return duct using the open ceiling joists as a return duct with just a flat metal cover over those ceiling joists?
High or not that is his quote get another contractor. I see to many people at TV court show's with similar No one forcing you to take quote get some ales..
"noname" wrote in message
I had a HVAC contractor come over and evaluate the loud noise we get from our vent in our living room (built in 05). He says the original contractor under spec'd the size of all the return vents in the house causing us to hear the blower through the vent (The 16x20 vent could suck a piece of cardboard down it there is that much pressure).
His solution is to add another floor return vent across the living room. So he will cut a hole in the main return line at the furnace and run a flexible line about 12 feet and cut a hole in the floor and add a vent.
Quote is $1250. To me that seems somewhat high as I can't imagine the parts will cost more than $250 and the job (to my mind) can't be more than 4 hours.
Should I get a second quote or does that quote seem rational?