Adding exterior electrical outlet

I'd like to add an exterior outlet for some landscape lighting.
Is it against code to "T" off of an existing electrical outlet that is already on a GCFI breaker and put a surface mount exterior box on the outside of the home?
All I'd have to do is drill a hole through the siding and for the wire to pass then seal it up behind the box with silicone. The outside box will have a rain shield and the flap type doors.
The circuit that the outside lights would be on is lightly used. (Clock radio and some lamps)
That's fine, and if the circuit wasn't GFCI protected, you'd use a GFCI outlet with a "rain tight while in use" cover

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 22:03:26 -0400, "RBM" <rbm2(remove

Actually, I'd do that anyway. No point in having the re-set button on the other side of the wall.
Actually, it's in his panel

Goedjn wrote:

Even with a cover in place, an exterior receptacle is prone to premature failure from temperature and humidity extremes. Having the GFCI inside is a good idea.

No, that's perfectly fine, provided that you hook it up on the 'load' side of the GFCI so that the GFCI will control the new outlet as well.

If you use it for landscape lighting, you want to use an "in-use" cover instead of the flap-type. They are raintight even with a cord plugged in, which you'll need since you won't be unplugging the landscape lighting every time it rains...
-Tim

I just installed outside receptacles downstream from the single receptacle (GFCI protected) requirred in an unfinished basement, and it sounds like you are doing the same.
Not there, so not a how-to, but this is what I would make sure is done:
Some things: 1. Makesure you have an exterior box and an 'in-use' cover. Which sounds like your 'rain shield'.
2. Ensure the circuit is GFCI protected, by using a hand held tester.
3. I like adding circuits, rather than tapping into existing ones, so I would try and see if I can add a circuit.
Good luck, fill us in on what you did, maybe some photos too. :)
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info