adding a mildew inhibitor to paint

Does anyone have experience with doing this? I bought a liquid, Mil-Kil, and wonder if it will do as well as paint with mold inhibitor already in it by the manufacturer. I can't afford new paint right now, and have most of a gallon of Kilz on hand. I tried to find a MSDS on the chemical in it, with no luck. I wonder if it is safe to use in the kitchen?
When it is dry , I am going to seal the wall with exterior spar urethane. The outdoor kind expands and contracts a bit with temperature changes, this is on an uninsulated wall between the kitchen and garage that gets a bit cold in the winter. That's prob why I got mold there in the first place...condensation in a high humidity room. It should not crack, and hopefully will maintain a good seal over the paint with the mildewicide. The last guy who lived in this house thought he was "handy", and we have spent a lot of time undoing his handiwork. He added on the garage.
I cleaned and disinfected really well, following CDC guidelines. One more scrub with 1:10 bleach with TSP, and a good rinse and I will be ready to paint. If it ever stops raining and I get some dry days in a row!
Having fun in Ohio... Debi
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
fix the roof or source of the dampness, or your work will be wasted.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Kill mold yourself to be sure its done right, just spray or mop on pure laundry bleach, Laundry bleach is apx 97% water so dont dilute. If you dont fix the cause if the issue mold could return no matter what you paint on. From what you describe simply insulating the wall will stop the condensation and save you alot in heating and AC bills.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Debi wrote:

Should not be terribly difficult to insulate the area from the garage side? Whatever the wall, if there is mold on it presently, just wash well with favorite cleaner and a bit of bleach. Rinse, dry. If the wallboard is damaged, think about replacing the damaged area. Not damaged, decent prep and good primer and paint should do fine. Hang a picture where the condensation forms; probably will keep it off the wall.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Thanks!
I will look into insulating...are those styrofoam panels worth while for insulating? Or should I get into the wall and stuff it with the pink stuff?
I've cleaned it really with bleach and TSP, rinsed well and am ready to prime and paint. I'm going to rearrange things so the cabinet dosen't sit against the wall and block air flow, and open the window when I cook. That should keep the humidity down.
The kitchen does not have a vent over the stove...there was one, but handy guy covered it up when he installed a dishwasher where the stove used to go. Now the stove has to go on an inside wall. I would like to put a range hood over the stove, but it would need to be vented out thru the attic. Sounds expensive and difficult. I understand the ventless hoods are pretty useless.
Thanks for the advice! Debi
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.