accoridan door for bathroom

Page 1 of 2
Anyone replace a bathroom door with one of those accordian types? I've just finished remodeling one of my 2 smallish 6 x 10 bathrooms and it's so roomy without the door that I'd like to install one of those accoridan type doors instead.
Sound retention is not really an issue as I'm older and live alone. But I'd like to hear from anyone that's tried them first..? thanks..
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

old family house. (actually it was the mudroom/laundry, but there was a toilet and sink in there as well.) It was one of the plastic-covered ones, not the ones with the finger-pincher panels. Squeaked and got stuck and off-track a lot, as I recall. I'd worry about so many moving parts in a humid environment, unless modern ones are all plastic inside.
I live alone as well- only close the door to shower, so I won't freeze, and to keep the shower curtain from trying to meld with me.
Thought about a center-opening door? (Can't remember the proper name this second.)
-- aem sends...
On Mon 08 Dec 2008 07:49:53p, aemeijers told us...

French doors or a bi-fold door would be a great space saver. Either would look better than an accordion door and would probably be more durable and trouble-free.
--
Wayne Boatwright
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

If possible, pocket door.
On Mon 08 Dec 2008 09:53:18p, Tony Hwang told us...

Yes, that would be ideal, but not always easy to add to existing construction.
--
Wayne Boatwright
On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 04:46:11 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

Be sure to get French doors with the windows in them. Very popular for avant garde bathrooms.

On Mon 08 Dec 2008 11:28:16p, mm told us...

Actually, you could use patterned (obscure) or frosted glass without a problem.
--
Wayne Boatwright
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in 3273.bay.webtv.net:

I put one in between a couple of rooms. Picked it up at HD I think. Worked OK for the year I had it. Pretty much it's just a visual barrier. Can't exactly recall but I think there was a track to be mounted above and one on the side with wood screws.
The doorway was 36" wide so there was plenty of room to pass while it was open. The open accordian of course takes up some of the door opening width. If you have a very narrow doorway, it could be an issue.
On Dec 8, 6:25pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

I put one on my sister's bedroom. Wouldn't do it again - too flimsy. A bifold door is a better solution. Takes up about the same space open.
Harry K

I would also vote for a bifold door. They can be cheap or expensive.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

If you feel like tinkering, and have the proper geometry, a pocket door might be just the ticket.
As for living alone, you never know when some lady might want to stay over. Best to bear the needs of the distaff side in mind.
On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 21:25:55 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

I was going to say that the vinyl ones I've used were old, but maybe even when new they were hard to close and sprang back open if not latched.
But you probably don't even close the door when you're home alone, right? I don't. So that wouldn't matter.
They're probably better now than they used to be anyhow.
A "friend" of mine had a home built to order, so to speak, from already used pre-designed blue-prints that she and her husband could modify to suit themselves. They build the powder room, right off the entry hall, so the door opened into the powder room, and when one entered, the door was between him and the toilet, and there was no way to close the door without leaving the room!!!

I mean the contractors built it that way.

They didn't like it and made them redo it so the door opened out.
mm wrote:

Serious oversight, even mistake. Powder room was too small! Probably your friend did not have enough experience having a house built. I had 6 house custom built in my life time from our idea. Nothing like that ever happened to us. Could blame the builder, he should point out something like that instead of just following the blue print.

I forgot to say that the blueprints showed the door opening out, into the hall. They just didn't build it that way.

mm wrote:

That is odd to me. We never had a bathroom door opening outwaed. Our present house has 4 bathrooms, all doors open inward.
Tony Hwang wrote:

That's because you have ample bathroom space. For teeny loos, there may not be room for a door.
Think airplane lavatory or Porta-Potty.

This may well be whythey made the door open inward. That's all they knew. But they should have looked at the blueprints and at the room first.
They also had to molding or baseboard around the hall. When they got there, the tile had been laid in half the hall, so they put the baseboard just above the tile where there was tile, and just above the plywood where there was no tile!
They made other mistakes too but I don't remember what they are. The couple would go out every day after work to look at the house, and she was never bothered by these things, but he was.
She told me that building the house is what ruined the marriage, but after I knew her better, I knew that wasn't it!
On Dec 8, 8:25pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

They stick, dont operate well and are noisy that I got from HD.
On Dec 8, 9:25pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

They work fine. My father used one for about 10 yrs w/o ANY problems.