AC routine check up

It's been a while since the AC for the house has had a routine check up. It is a 5 1/2 ton package unit on a manufactured house of a little over 2000 sq feet in sw Florida. This is only a few miles from the Gulf of Mexico and humidity in August is right up there. Because the house is elevated, the unit is on a pedestal that makes it had for me to get up there to see what is going on. A ladder is a requirement. I had a cold call from an outfit that said they re gong to be in my neighborhood and yada yada. My quick question was who are you seeing here. I got a quick answer with a name I recognized but I did not know the person. OK, I had the guy come out. He checked the air temp going in and then the temp coming out and declared it looked good.

79 in 54 out. Then he went outside and opened the unit up. I was on the ground and could not see what he was doing.

When he came down he showed me pix and said there was significant mold inside.

When he said the remedy was to replace the unit, I asked about using Clorox. He said it was so bad that it would require acid to clean. Then he pulled out the price book and started quoting numbers and said they could replace the unit quickly. And the discount he could offer was good that day only.

About here my BS meter was pegged.

I told him I could not decide today but email me the pix.

I was going to post the pix to one of the sites that would let me put up a link to those pix so that readers here could see them.

The pix never arrived. I cannot even tell if the pix were of my unit or were from other unit that he just kept on his phone as a sales pitch.

Question: Is my BS meter properly calibrated?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

If it was bouncing off the peg on the high side , yes . It's just about impossible to have mold inside a condenser unit , as it's hot when in operation and has a LOT of air flowing thru to take that heat away . I suggest you report that bozo to the BBB and any regulatory board in your area .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I'd say his BS meter is accurately calibrated. The mold thing sounds bogus and like you say that it could be that bad and the unit working fine, but uncleanable, doesn't computer.

On the other hand, I have to wonder about the calibration of his AC system. 5 1/2 tons on a 2000 sq ft house?

Reply to
trader_4

Yeah , it does sound a little oversize . But then he is in a hot and very humid climate .

Reply to
Terry Coombs
79 air in, 54 air out sounds like it is just fine, especially in a high humidity environment. Your BS meter is accurately calibrated!!!!
Reply to
hrhofmann

He can get the name of someone who lives a block or two away anywhere.

From the online county property tax listings, or from looking in a mailbox, or by going up to his house to check his AC and asking the guy his name.

I gather it was going up a little bit at a time. So, Yes.

Reply to
micky

It does sound like a scam, to me. I'd have insisted I wanted to go up the ladder with my own flash light and camera, and do my own looking and taking pictures.

Different folks have different things to do for spring tune up, so you can always ask the AC guys on this list or in your town "So, what services do you perform when...."

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Would be nice to get the scammer shut down. Good idea, to report if possible.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

When I passed 75 I stopped going up ladders of more than 3 or 4 steps. I will wait until son or son-in-law gets a chance to visit and get one of them to take a look.

Reply to
Charlie

Lot of wisdom in that position. Overall, I'd decline their offer of today only special.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon