AC problem

I had a new AC/heat pump system installed about 2 years ago, and this morning I woke to the smell of melting plastic and a loud pop. This is what happened: www.math.umd.edu/~peterson/melted.jpg Could someone tell me if this was a problem with poor installation/parts, or is it a common problem? The disconnect is a square d fs222r series f1. Thanks!

Unless you went with the no name hack in town, its ran fine for 2 years, as you say. Something failed, and not in the disconnect probably. Of course, I would be more worried about why the breaker that the service disconnect should be on didnt trip sooner. Quit looking for a way to get it fixed for free, cause that wont happen with any company....2 years? No..if it was due to a poor install on that, it would have shown sooner than that. What PROB happened is that you had a short in the condensing unit, and a breaker that didnt pop in time.
This is Turtle.
You say the problem is not in the Disconnect here when the burning and popping was coming from the Disconnect. also the picture is of the burning and what was ask about and you say it was not the problem. now this one is going to be good explaining your way out of this one.
also CB that disconnect is a plan disconnect and does not have fuses in it and as we have discussed over at alt.hvac years ago that it was the Square-D disconnect that was defective and burnt up. this Square-D disconnect is trash and should not be used for it has a high failure rate.
WOW , the Disconnect Not the problem !
TURTLE

Terry, no flame, but I know that. We take those off and toss em all the time.
For once, we agree on something.
HOLY SHIT....someone call Hell....are they ice fishing there yet? LOL

and then the heavens opened up and the choir of angels began to sing.....
;-]
this is Turtle.
change the Square-D disconnect out and everything will be fine. this Square-D brand Disconnect is not good to use at all and fails way too soon or most all the time.
Pick another brand.
TURTLE