AC duct (between ceiling joists)

I'm rerouting some ductwork because of an expanded family room. Basically the only way down to the first floor is thru a new closet on the second floor. I plan on putting 2 8" registers in the first floor family room but running ductwork between the ceiling joists will be tough.

I have heard that it is acceptable to simply use the existing ceiling joists (boxed in on either side) as makeshift ducting. If I were to run 2 8" flex ducts into the cavity between the joists and put the 2 registers somewhere in the cavity - any problems with this? I was thinking I might need to put a vapor barrier at least and maybe foil lined insulation (1/4") on the inside of the cavity - what to you guys think?

TIA, Bob

Reply to
Bob O'Connor

I would not use the cavity as an duct.

Metal is the only way for me. I do not like flex duct. Personal opinion

Reply to
SQLit

For return air it is acceptable, but not for suppy air. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

"Panning" returns is no longer legal in a lot of areas. Panning supply ductwork has never been legal.

Reply to
HeatMan