AC Coolant Lines and Electric Cables in Gutter Downspout?

A guy who owns a local home inspection business also answers home improvement questions in our Saturday paper. While describing how to add an AC system in the attic he wrote:
"Coolant lines and electrical cables to the second or third floors can often be concealed in sections of gutter downspout material that is attached to the side of the house."
Anybody ever heard of this? Does the NEC allow allow it?
And, yes, I know he doesn't mean the same downspouts as the ones attached to the gutters.

As long as the electrical wiring is in approved conduit, FIRST.

We do it all the time. Just make sure the wiring is rated for outdoor use. UF and SEU cable for instance. The HVAC supply houses sell a plastic duct system that is used primarily for mini-split AC units. It could be used also.
[8~{} Uncle Monster
on 9/1/2007 11:10 PM DerbyDad03 said the following:

It's done all the time around here. A piece of white 'plastic' downspout running from the AC unit on the ground straight up the siding to the attic where they enter the wall.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

They are frequently used here in New Jersey. However it is only for cosmetic purposes. The electrical cable or conduit and fittings are all approved for outdoor use.

Thanks to all. I had never heard of it and was just curious.

Usually we just get an aluminum "line set cover" that screws to the side of the house. The advantage is you don't have to thread the line set down a drain pipe and it is more securely fastened yet easy to access if you need to.
on 9/3/2007 2:57 PM snipped-for-privacy@aol.com said the following:

The guy that installed my AC, used a plastic downspout which he sliced down the back with a circular saw and then spread it over the tubes and secured it with downspout clamps, so there was no need to thread the tubes through it..
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY